Discuss another main earth bonding question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My query is on an installation with lpg calorgas supply instead of natural gas,do I still have to run in my 10mm earth.Its just a bottle gas with a rubber hose connecting the copper pipe to the gas bottle.Supplies a cooker and a boiler.?

My query is on an installation with lpg calorgas supply instead of natural gas,do I still have to run in my 10mm earth.Its just a bottle gas with a rubber hose connecting the copper pipe to the gas bottle.Supplies a cooker and a boiler.?

yes as you are only interested in the consumer side ie. the gas pipework within the property. your not earthing the bottle.same as if a plastic pipe came out of road into meter then onto your installation pipework.

Hi guys. I've just completed a bathroom installation where there were no main earth bonds to the water or LPG ( bottles ) which fed a cooker in the kitchen. I ran new 10mm cables to both supplies as I understood this to be the regs but however the customer has took it on herself to ring trading standards and then the niceic to see if this really needed to b carried out and to my surprise the niceic have told her that the LPG didn't need bonding as it wasn't connected to a boiler!? I thought I was doing the right thing here so I am now confused and out of pocket!!!!!

Ye same rules apply. The metal pipework in the house can still become live whether fed by a bottle or mains :).

That's not why we carry out main protective bonding!

Does that pipe bring a potential into the building?

ie. is it buried in earth en route?

.....all of the above old posts are incorrect.....
Bonding has nothing to do with pipes coming live...Cheekycarl it is unlikely that a gas bottle stood on the ground and connected to internal metallic pipe with rubber hose will be an extaneous conductive part,which is why it wont require main bonding generally.

There are some explanations of the reasons for main bonding here which you may find helpfull
http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...ectrical-forum/38121-mains-bonding-query.html

Last edited by a moderator:
.....all of the above old posts are incorrect.....
Bonding has nothing to do with pipes coming live...Cheekycarl it is unlikely that a gas bottle stood on the ground and connected to internal metallic pipe will be an extaneous conductive part,which is why it wont require main bonding generally.

Precisely but not ALL of the above posts ;)

Agree wire if it is not introducing a potential, but it seems bythe post that it don't need it becasue it is not connected to a boiler !!!!

Though I'm now thinking that this might be a ruse post, becasue I can't imagine the NICEIC will say that, what if you had a main gas pipe from BG coming in and there is only one domesic fire it fed, would that not need bonding because it does not go to a boiler.

Things become a little different when were talking about an LPG bulk storage tank, that's re-filled by by a mobile tanker. Then you will definitely need to ground the tank with a ''good'' driven rod install....

Operators of LPG tankers are loath to connect there gas filling pipework to an ungrounded storage tank... They generally connect an equalisation lead from the tanker to the LPG storage facility, prior to connecting the gas filling pipe.

Similar precautions are also often made, with domestic/commercial fuel oil tanks of metallic construction

Hi guys. I've just completed a bathroom installation where there were no main earth bonds to the water or LPG ( bottles ) which fed a cooker in the kitchen. I ran new 10mm cables to both supplies as I understood this to be the regs but however the customer has took it on herself to ring trading standards and then the niceic to see if this really needed to b carried out and to my surprise the niceic have told her that the LPG didn't need bonding as it wasn't connected to a boiler!? I thought I was doing the right thing here so I am now confused and out of pocket!!!!!

grrr! the cheeky b~tch most RAF sparks would not have bothered, you was doing your job, go back rip it out and have a weigh in!

Personally Id always bond any services coming into a property because it's covering my back regardless of external influences or not, which is why I'm very surprised about her comments regarding her conversation with this guy from the niceic.!!!!!!

Personally Id always bond any services coming into a property because it's covering my back regardless of external influences or not, which is why I'm very surprised about her comments regarding her conversation with this guy from the niceic.!!!!!!

What have 'external influences' got to do with bonding requirements?

And how would bonding a service that might not meet the definition of an extraneous-conductive part 'cover your back'?

Reply to another main earth bonding question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock