Discuss Another oven thread (hopefully with a difference) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We've had to replace the single oven and discovered that both single oven and hob were hooked into the same terminal strip which was massively overloaded. We've now installed an induction hob with is plugged in to a plug socket on the isolator switch for the oven. The problem we have now is that the cable coming from the isolator switch isn't long enough to reach the oven anymore and we can't replace the cable without ripping out plaster board and tiles. I'd like to extend the cable using a junction box and a 1 metre length of cable.

It's a 32A fuse on the CU and the oven is rated at 2.5kw/h so using the regs and diversity factor it works out at 11A + 5A (plus change, 16.4A really) for the socket on the isolator. The cable coming from the isolator appears to be 4mm stranded flex cable rather than the 7 solid core cable.

My question is, can I just attach a junction box onto the cable and run another cable to the oven. Do I need to find another 4mm cable or would 6mm do it? Does it need to be stranded or can I used solid core?

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Been trying that, for various work reasons and other family commitments we can't be around for an electrician to visit during the day. We've been let down twice by electricians not turning up, hence why I'm doing it myself.

what he said ^^^^^^.call in a local SPARKS. a couple of members are in your area. for the sake of a few quid, you'll get good advice and have the installation done safely.

Been trying that, for various work reasons and other family commitments we can't be around for an electrician to visit during the day. We've been let down twice by electricians not turning up, hence why I'm doing it myself.
obviously you've not contacted a reputable electrician. if i promise to turn up , i do so. any problems with making an appointment, i phone or text to rearrange. there's no excuse for not turning up. your time is as valuable as mine is, so a decent sparks will appreciate that. we're not gods, even if some of us think we are. ( sound like a plumber now. but plumbers being plumbers can't spell they think they are gods, but spelt right it's dogs).).

What’s a Chelsea fan doing in Nottingham? That’s probably why local sparks aren’t turning up! ;)

Hi,i feel you may struggle to get anybody to commit,to a method of extending a circuit,on an unknown installation.

The calculations you described,have very little to do with the choice of materials and method,in altering whatever you have.

What type of test equipment have you used to check the existing circuit,and will use to check any addition?

Reply to Another oven thread (hopefully with a difference) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock