Discuss Another RCD question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi
Can anyone tell me if any make of RCD will fit any make of C/U
Is it o.k mix different makes.
Thanks chris .

Most are interchangeable but not all. There is nothing wrong with mixing and matching, but good practice says use like for like. There is a general feeling amongst most on here that like for like is best practice, albeit as long as the bit you shove in is to the relevant BS number then it is compliant.

However you may be in breach of any manufacturers warranties etc if you stick different bits in their CU's. If its not under guarantee then no problem.

Cheers...........Howard

I'm not a fan of mix and match, but if you do then just make sure the terminals align properly so no undue strain is put on the terminals and busbars etc. As Howard said it will most probably invalidate any warranty or manufaturers guarantee if a different make is placed in their unit.

the problem is when you mix and match if something happens ,faults fire etc and it goes to court the manufacturers can and will turn round and say there boards were not designed for other devices ,and you may get the book thrown at you just a thought

Its fairly common practice in some circumstances to have to mix and match , however it will not comply with BS 7671 cos the regs state manufacturers recommendations /instructions should be followed---clearly manufactureres wont recommend/ instruct you to fit other masnufacturers kit .

Reply to Another RCD question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

An RCD keeps tripping. Please see attached photo of the board (2 photos attached). I’ll call the breakers: MCB (1) marked ‘Upstairs lighting’...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Quick question can you fit an RCD without any neutral connections? If I have a 3 pole circuit breaker which has all 3 poles...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm back in the electrical game after 9 years break so feeling a little rusty! I'm adding an additional socket to a circuit but the main RCD...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I wondered if anyone could help me with something that has been niggling me please?! When a Solar PV feed in circuit is installed...
Replies
Views
Hi all Was looking in to the adibatic equasion as our company will not let us add on to a Ring circuit with 1mm cpc.. I want to give some...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock