Discuss Another RCD tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Will a RCD trip if there is a problem on the cable drawing no current ?
I plug in a tumbler drier and power it up, the RCD trips
Remove the drier plug and try the drier in another socket. The drier works without tripping the RCD.
I try my electric drill in the socket that tripped the RCD and at slow speed my drill works increase the revs the RCD trips.
OK I can see the logic here. Its current related More speed, more current, drawn RCD trips.
So will or should a RCD trip if there is a problem with the cable to the socket when there is no appliance plugged into the socket ?
I have just wired up a new extension. The tumbler drier is on a dedicated cct ie it has its own MCB.
There is more !!!!
Same scenario another dedicated cct this time for the freezer. I thought I'd try the drier in that one. I connected this cct up to the drier MCB and flashed the drier up and.............the RCD tripped. Tried the drill same again at slow speed ok increase speed RCD trips.
My immediate thoughts are that the two cables albeit seperate may have been damaged during or after installation.

I guess its time to try and establish that there is nothing wrong with my cable run.

Not sure of your circuitry but

At a guess I would suggest you have a non rcd socket neutral mixed up with the rcd socket neutral

The rcd may very well stay in with no load drawing current
An imbalance of neutrals may give results like you have found

as des says. sounds like a neutral in the wrong bar.

Do the customers that are paying for your profesional services know you are on the net asking a group of random guys how to do your job.

What testing have you done, other than the "bang" test.

Not sure of your circuitry but

At a guess I would suggest you have a non rcd socket neutral mixed up with the rcd socket neutral

The rcd may very well stay in with no load drawing current
An imbalance of neutrals may give results like you have found
I think you are right Des. I have a split box and didn't pay attention when connecting up the neutral(s) well it was late Sunday afternoon.
Yes cables were 'meggered' thru and a ramp test done on the RCD bit low at 25Ma but hey!!
Thanks Des

25mA is quite normal for a 30mA RCD. let us know if it was a N in the wring bar so we can send you to bed with no supper.

Reply to Another RCD tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock