Discuss another scam, sorry...scheme in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

miner69er

The Building Trades Database or BTD Builders from Brighton. 01273 878222

Just recieved a call from this company asking if i could ring their boss Alan Jones before 6pm about building works needing sparky in leics.
This i thought was a bit iffy, you don't ring someone to tell them to ring your boss. anyhow checked in google before ringing and found it's yet another scam company... you give us £200-00 to join and we'll pass on work to you...oh and you have to pay commission on each job as well!:eek:
yeah right i forgot about the drunken tattoo i had done in benidorm which says mug on my forhead!:rolleyes:
you have been warned out there.

I had one Saturday morning slightly different line.
A “contractor’s brokerage company “finds the client the best quote. Will only cost me FROM £250 ex VAT to list with them.

Think we should start a dedicated thread / list (or whatever) to name and shame these people.
Cheers
Jim

Yes we have plenty of them around my normal reply is if you are that good I would be coming to you and ask for the details of someone near me that has had plenty of work, that generally shuts them up

Chris

Get registered with the TPS to stop these cold callers....they are breaking uk laws on cold calling..

What is TPS?
The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a central opt out register whereby individuals can register their wish not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls. It is a legal requirement that companies do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS.
The original legislation was introduced in May 1999. It has subsequently been updated and now the relevant legislation is the Privacy and Electronic (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
Who can register?
The term individual includes consumers at their residential address, sole traders and, except in Scotland, partnerships.
How long will it take to become effective?
Once a number has been registered it will become effective in 28 days.
Is there any charge for registering?
No, it's free to register on the TPS.
Who pays for TPS?
No money is received from the Government to run the Service, the direct marketing industry pays for it.

TPS Registration

:mad:
Get registered with the TPS to stop these cold callers....they are breaking uk laws on cold calling..

TPS Registration

Tried that… it makes very little difference, complained to the TPS several times.
It’s only a voluntary code of practice and not enforceable by law (That’s what the TPS told me).
Also if they ring from Mumbi or Deli this also doesn’t apply to them as their not in this country!

TPS Registration

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a free service. It is the official central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls. It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so.

Help with this - if something is legal requirement - can you void it?

If you have time I find the best way is to waste their time. I was settling down to my dinner one evening when the phone rang and it was a company offering double glazing. The person on the phone was shocked when I agreed to a quotation but I said I wouldn't need anyone to come out as I had the measurments for all the windows already as I had recieved a previous quote.

I then promptly made up some rubbish about living in a converted chapel and having 121 windows which to be fair to the person taking the call, they spent 40 minutes writinig down measurements while I just randomly threw numbers at them, I then finished with the main window at 32' tall by 18' wide and which I wanted stained with a picture of the virgin mary.

They promised a call back within 7 days with a price which never happened. To this day I never recieved a call from them again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mobile phone companies are a pain as well, around your contract renewal date they all start cold calling saying are you interested in changing provider. even if you renewed your contract a month before. I usually let them talk and then tell them I've just signed a new contract they then ask me what does the contract give me on the off-chance they can do better, I then tell them I get 43,000 min free a month and it's a 50 year contract it goes pretty quite after that :D

Had another one today offering work....but then..... they need my card details to "add me to their system"

Telephone Number was 01273617040
(Note to admin - Please feel free to remove number, if your not happy)

Again I WILL report to TPS and see where we get, will report back if TPS do anything

Cheers
Jim

Had another... Slightly different one today.
It’s the old online directory scam.
www. practical jack.co.uk (Yes I know I've put spaces in... don't want to boost their business buy giving them a free link)

Pay company money for listing your details with their website, they claim to get a few billion hits every day from “our area” looking for electricians.
Blah blah blah heard it all before.

Reply to another scam, sorry...scheme in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock