Discuss Another should i, shouldnt i do the course thread!? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MikeThePrinter

I'm new to this site, been reading the threads for last couple of hours about electrical quals and course etc, i'm basically asking the same questions as in most threads but hopefully all in one, and opefully not too much of a mixed response as i've read!? its got me so confused with all the conflicting answers etc!

I'm currently a printer (hence the username!), i earn decent enough money, but am looking to make a change in my career and i've always wanted to be an electrician.
I have limited experiance, i've done a couple of re-wires with an electrician, and worked between shifts on site doing the domestic related wiring on new build apartment blocks under supervision, then on my own i've added spurs, added into main rings, changed sockets and just some general domestic stuff.

I've been looking at doing a "professional Electrical Course" with Access Training, in Cardiff, i've been down there, been shown around whilst courses were happening, all looked pretty decent and the courses are always 2 or 3 waiting list if booking on etc, the walkaround and information has led me to believe this is my best option as i can do the course between my shifts as i have 14 or 19 days off every 7.5 weeks, i asked the owner about employment after the course and he said i'd still have to start as an electricians mate, as experiance is required and a part of completing the course requires on site inspection, and also said even after that i'd still be a mate until the employer was happy, which could be upto the 2yrs many need, but some even in the first 6 months if they are good and the fact the quals are there, that makes me see him as realistic?????

The course states that i would have 2 years to complete the course, but from talking to him he said i could do it in 6-12 months with my time off blocks and commitment

the below is stated as the qualifications from the course

• Part P EAL Domestic Electrical Installer - Full Scope.
  • The 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations - City & Guilds 2382.
  • Certificate in Fundamental Inspection and Testing - City & Guilds 2392-10.
**the guy did say to me he wouldnt wanna put me onto next qual until i got my head around the above for a while????

• Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations - City & Guilds 2391-10.

the course is about £4500 all in, based on modular training with a total of 4 weeks to complete the practical training, assessments and exams at the centre

At the moment this is my only option as i cant afford to do an apprenticeship and it fits in with work, i'm caught in the monaey trap as some may say, and next yr i will be in a far better position to take the drop to mates rates, i just want to get an idea of if the course is what i need to be an electrician, and if i will be on mates rates for at least 2yrs, also if i can do the course, get a mates job and be legally allowed to do my own electrical work to help with the drop in money???????

sorry for the length of this, im just trying to think of the other threads and get everything in

thanks in advance
Mike

First thing i'd say is consider this very carefully, the industry is bursting with new recruits ar=t the moment and very little find companies to take them on.

main thing is good luck mate

Last edited by a moderator:
i know what you mean about the industry, but i do have an employment opportunity with my uncle as a mate with or without the course being done, and for me its either do the course then work with him, or work with him and do the course in holiday days or unpaid days, or work with him and go to college a day a week forever!!!

i do want to do this, but only if it means i dont lose my house etc !! lol

the guy who showed me around at access was very informative, and seemed a decent guy, would you be able to comment on the qualifications, i.e. if they are what i need to be qualified and possible progress to full employment a bit quicker and if they are what i need to legally do my own electrical work in my own time?

thanks
Mike

The qualifications as I see it allow you to register with the NICEIC as a domestic installer and will allow you to self certify your work (means that you can do work under part p) Im afraid your options are limited on qualifications..ideally you would go to college and complete 2330 levels 2 and 3 as well as nvq3 (im not sure whether they take anyone over apprentice aga though and places are limited)

this will take a lot longer but this would allow you to register with JIB as an electrician once finished

Its up to you really..its not easy im afraid

yeah ok, thanx for the replies mate, i'll certainly now check the possibilities about doing the 2330 levels 2 & 3 before going ahead with the course, but i think i'd probably not be able to afford an apprentice wage, maybe see if i can do it on same basis but on mates rates, but if money is deciding factor i could end up still only being able to get on the course and seeing if can get off mates rates asap!?

also, am i correct in saying that i can register as JIB electrician with 2 yrs experiance after the course anyway? and what does it enable me to do as JIB registered anyway? i.e. could i not do certain stuff between doing the course and getting 2yrs experiance before registering?

You can work for your uncle as a mate and complete the 2330 as long as you can spare 1 day or a couple of evenings a week for a few yrs long term it is the only way to be fully qualified as an electrician and will allow you to move on anywhere else

regarding your edit you could not be registered as an approved electrician with JIB without nvq3 and 2330 as far as i know

well thats interesting to know, maybe only affording to do the mateswork with evenings or a day off could be the only way, and basically be an appreticeship, i do after all want to be fully qualified if i want to work for myself one day maybe?
and sorry to bug, but what does the JIB registered actually mean, is that basically what you are if you do it the 2330 way?
thanks

I believe JIB grading allows you to work on certain contracts etc and proves competency although many dont seem to think its worth it personally I dont know as I cant get one as I have no NVQ3 :(

Forget the courses for now, go to work, do the jobs, get some money in your pocket. If you are still intrested in 3 months look for courses then.
The most important thing you can get is experience. I cannot stress that enough. Qualifications don't make you a spark. The term book-educated eejit comes to mind.
Get the experience then you will have something to relate the theory to.
As for fast track..........pppffffffft!

JIB Grading can only be achieved with a relevant Level 3 NVQ (in addition to the other necessary qualifications, e.g. Technical Certificate).

Id say it was a healthy balance between theory and practical knowledge, may be worth perhaps looking to enrol september etc and see if the industry suits you by working in your off time on your current job.

You will struggle to make 40k plus in this industry im sorry to say, it is achievable but to very few

im not looking to make that money as such, i am looking at earning enough to live, not have to work the 12hr day and night shifts i do working every other weekend on fri sat and sun days or nights, this week im working fri, sat and sun nights 6 till 6!!!
and maybe one day being able to have enough about me to work for myself but still be able to live, i have a good idea of what wage i can live off comfortably, but im writing on here to make sure i can do it and it not take me 10yrs!!!, and not make a big mistake by leaving one job to do a course thats not the right way in,

i really do get the experiance thing, as even my uncle has said he wont be paying me above mates rates until i have good experiance behind me no matter whats qualifications i have, i'd just like to know is there anything wrong with doing a course, then being a mate for 2 yrs to get experiance, that way i get to have qualifications without having to lose a days pay every week to!?

and whats happening in 3 months!? (not being cheeky-just dont get it!)

lol only reason I said september was normal college enrollment :)

I know all about shifts mate I work 12hrs 4 on 4 off but i have to say it suits me ( i dont do nights though)

With three months experience under your belt, you will know weither or not its for you.
Also, If I take on a young fella and he doesn't know how to wire a house in three months he is gone.

i'd ike to add i do like the sound of doing the 2330 1 day a week whilst on mates rates-obviously better than the 40 quid apprentice rate per week! but again, affording might not be an option for me
but still, i'd like it as i'd be doing it "properly"

With three months experience under your belt, you will know weither or not its for you.
Also, If I take on a young fella and he doesn't know how to wire a house in three months he is gone.

You must get through some apprentices! :)

i'd ike to add i do like the sound of doing the 2330 1 day a week whilst on mates rates-obviously better than the 40 quid apprentice rate per week! but again, affording might not be an option for me
but still, i'd like it as i'd be doing it "properly"

There is always evenings and to be honest if your anything like me you will enjoy the theory, you will have a hell of a lot more options open to you but its all dependant on your circumstances

cool, i could defo do in 3 months, take me on then! (as a mate though not apprentice!)
whats the score with taking people on then, do u have apprentices or just mates and some do the 1 day college thing?
worst thing is i like my job, sometimes its easy, sometimes its so hard u wanna cry or quit on the spot, but its the nature of the beast with machines i run, but shifts are really the only thing ruining it for me now, i really want that change, like i said i get 14 or 19 days off every 7.5 weeks, but i work 2 shifts one week, 5 shifts the next, being mon, tues, fri, sat and sun on the 5 day week, and wed, thurs on the 2 day week, alternating days then nights all the time, so fair time off, but weekends kill me so often, espec the nights now, and the thought of maybe working self employed one day is appealing obviously

lol...doesnt that go against most of what you have written tonight?:)

If you think house bashing makes you an electrician, you have a loooooong way to go.

cool, i could defo do in 3 months, take me on then! (as a mate though not apprentice!)
whats the score with taking people on then, do u have apprentices or just mates and some do the 1 day college thing?
worst thing is i like my job, sometimes its easy, sometimes its so hard u wanna cry or quit on the spot, but its the nature of the beast with machines i run, but shifts are really the only thing ruining it for me now, i really want that change, like i said i get 14 or 19 days off every 7.5 weeks, but i work 2 shifts one week, 5 shifts the next, being mon, tues, fri, sat and sun on the 5 day week, and wed, thurs on the 2 day week, alternating days then nights all the time, so fair time off, but weekends kill me so often, espec the nights now, and the thought of maybe working self employed one day is appealing obviously

Can you be in Letterkenny for monday at 8am?

Reply to Another should i, shouldnt i do the course thread!? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock