• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Any advice on a potential job offer? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

claret73

Just after some constructive advice or a 1 word answer will do...

Am an Improver subbing, trying to fill my weeks and trying, along with every other Improver or latest DISQ Qualified to find a break with a company that is offering something permanent or at least heading that way. I have a possibility of jumping the other side of the counter & taking a role in a wholesalers...finished my L3 & Regs and with a couple of years Domestic with bits of commercial, am looking at this as regularity, something a bit different using the knowledge I have...
Any advice as to taking it aside from the fact it is a permanent job. A rarity of late.

Can I ask how old you are?

It may very well be a good move as you will meet a lot of contrators, sole traders etc who will get to know you and who knows where that might lead you................hopfully the kind of work you want within the industry.

depends what wholesalers it is with and the money You may get to meet more prospective employers or you may get more insight into materials and products used in the industry its a HARD Question to answer as only YOU know your position ( money family ect ect ect) and you wouldn't wasn't to mess them around
Put a list together PROs on one side CONS on the other mark each pro and con out of 5 according to the importance add up scores see who wins
ie working 9-5 may suit you 5 or it may bore you 1 get my drift Good luck

Can I ask how old you are?

It may very well be a good move as you will meet a lot of contrators, sole traders etc who will get to know you and who knows where that might lead you................hopfully the kind of work you want within the industry.

This is good advise,you take the job at the wholesalers,work there for a while and you will come into contact with most of the local contractors and you will get to know good ones and the bad ones(the ones to advoid) then you can let them know that you are after a job.And sinse they know you you will be in with a good chance of any jobs comming up.
Or you might like the steady hours and the regular pay of working for the wholesaler and decide to stay there,if you take the job you have nothing to lose it will open some doors,and if you don't like it you can go back on the tools

Thanks for all the input Guys!! I took it...It will be regular wages at the moment, will give me Strong Product knowledge which will be massively beneficial should I climb back over the counter & as a face to Contractors will give me the contacts, again if I decided I wanted to go back...feels a bit weird but I'll see how it all goes.

Gamekeeper turned poacher...
Seriously though it sounds like a good move - it's no good knowing all the theory if you don't know what products you can install.

Reply to Any advice on a potential job offer? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back