Discuss Any advice on the matter? 'tis for my NIC DI Assessment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JC94

Morning all,

I've got a quick question regarding a consumer unit change.
Basically, i'm using my parents house for my NIC assessment installations, one of which I'll be changing the consumer unit. Now here's where i'm a bit curious as what to do...

The house is a small-medium sized 3 bedroom house, originally a council property, and has 1 ring final supplying the socket outlets in the house (including the kitchen). There's only my parents and brother living there and most of the time the house is empty until the evening.

So i'm going to carry out an EICR before changing over the CU to make sure everything is safe and fine and as long as the results come up okay i'll replace it.
My question is would you say it would be okay to keep the one existing ring main as it is (it is under 100m2) or would this be pulled up in my assessment? I understand that the kitchen should really be on it's own RFC due to appliances etc, personally I would do that, but they would prefer if all the tiles didn't have to come off the wall or any floorboards lifted upstairs.

Like I said, no tests carried out just yet so I couldn't give you the current Ze/Zs Values but will post them up when I'm round there next, the supply system is a TN-S converted to a TN-C-S.

Cheers :icon4:

As a matter of interest what did the electrical course that you've taken teach you about domestic installations, didn't it cover these situations ?

I've done my 2330-2/3 and 2382 (I've not got my NVQ for the reason that it was impossible to find an apprenticeship, but I've done 4 years worth of, mostly free, work with a few different companies) and this wasn't something they happened to mention at college, I won't lie the teaching was quite poor, yet it's (apparently) meant to be one of the best colleges for construction in the UK... i've just not come across something like this before

you are being asseseed on the CU change, not the previous installation.as long as circuits pass testing/inspection, and are fit for continued use..... i'd make a comment on your EIC that a separate \RFC for the kitchen would be advisable.

Reply to Any advice on the matter? 'tis for my NIC DI Assessment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net