Discuss Any examination centers who accept external candidates? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

piggyitm

Hey,I've just made 4 phonecalls to some of the City and Guilds nominated exam centers around the Leeds and York Area.I want to take the 17th ed 2382-10 exam.Three of them said no external candidates and one told me I have to do the theory course first,Get this!!!He tried to sell me the theory course for £345 said i have to have the regs and then do a GOLA exam.Fair enough.I argued the ---- for abit about not needing the theory and just the exam.I was told i could only sit the GOLA if i had completed the theory.Knowing it was -------s,I asked if i got a certificate for my theory that then allowed me to sit a GOLA.He then said No but they cant let anyone do the Exam if they might not pass first time and then have to incur the re sit costs.I thought that the exam was about £35!!!I told him I could re sit 10 times for the price of their course!Then I asked him if it was the 4 day or the 11 weeks 1 night a week type.The cheeky sausage said that I could take as long as I would need to get prepared for the exam and when I asked where would I be studying he said it was a sodding home study course!!!!!!!!
Talk about cashing in on ****e legislation!

Does anyone know of anywhere I can do just the GOLA exam around Yorkshire. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
This problem has risen it's head before I got told a similar thing with regards to a CAD course. Did the level 2 but had already got the notes etc for the level 3.

I asked the lecturer if it was possible to come in and sit the online exam and the do the drawings as required. Told me it was not possible as if I did not register for the course then the would not be money forthcoming from some organisation thus if they did not have the people doing course work as well then it was not financially viable to run the course's.

piggy , this has been raised before re 17th edition exam .
i used premier training in oldham to do the exam no problem

Imagine someone walked in off the street with no prior electrical knowledge and is able to sit the exam for £35 and with sheer luck (it is multiple choice and open book after all) he scrapes a pass.

Would you say this person deserves this qualification? I know full well that if i'd done the above I would have passed quite comfortably but the whole point of doing the 4 days etc was to learn all aspects of the 17th edition regs.

IMO the test is bollox, anyone could pass it!!

In my eyes holding the certificate shows that you have sat the course and understood its contents

The 2382 is worthwhile...the exam is just a tiny part of it, it should be made much harder or scrapped

I understand both sides of this and if I were paying for the course myself id be trying to go the same route as you are, but I can also see why exam centres and colleges arent allowing it.

Just throwing in an alternative point of view :)

Imagine someone walked in off the street with no prior electrical knowledge and is able to sit the exam for £35 and with sheer luck (it is multiple choice and open book after all) he scrapes a pass.

Would you say this person deserves this qualification? I know full well that if i'd done the above I would have passed quite comfortably but the whole point of doing the 4 days etc was to learn all aspects of the 17th edition regs.

IMO the test is bollox, anyone could pass it!!

In my eyes holding the certificate shows that you have sat the course and understood its contents

The 2382 is worthwhile...the exam is just a tiny part of it, it should be made much harder or scrapped

I understand both sides of this and if I were paying for the course myself id be trying to go the same route as you are, but I can also see why exam centres and colleges arent allowing it.

Just throwing in an alternative point of view :)

hey monty,
the test is to see if you read the book ,yes you can walk in do the multiple guess and pass 100% .if you did manage that do you have saturdays lotto numbers??:D

i phoned the local college with regards the 17th and they tried to sell me both ,wouldnt allow me to do just the exam ,then proceeded to use scare tactics telling me if i did the exam only my cert would be invalid:mad:

the test is to see if you read the book ,yes you can walk in do the multiple guess and pass 100% .if you did manage that do you have saturdays lotto numbers??:D

You dont need 100% though, I think the pass rate was 55-60% when I did it (first week it came out) I think any score under 80-85% should be a fail with those questions:rolleyes:

I know that anyone with any intelligence could use the index and find all the answers to that exam with no training or experience, for example my missus could pass and then she would hold 17th edition and she cant even wire a plug!!!:D:eek::D

My only viewpoint is that the exam is too easy..it emphasises more on the time constraints rather than knowledge on the regs

As for sitting the exam only I was just giving a possible reason why colleges wouldnt allow candidates to sit the exam only (showing other side of the argument etc).

If this was an issue then easiest answer would be to scrap the exam and certs given on completion

Cheers Guys! Spoke to Premtrain and they can get me in anytime as long as there's a computer is free.The exam fee is £75 plus VAT.I'm happy with that!

Hello All
Got the same problem, done all the hard work trudging thro the book and doing a simulated GOLA exam (which i passed) then find that the local college says sorry got to take the 3day course £300 or 12 weeks at night
Does anyone know a centre around Nottingham that will allow the test only

Hey Wayne, not sure what you mean by study hours.I was looking at some kind of home study course.My other idea was to buy the regs and get an exam simulator.Could do with something that consolidates the changes between 16th & 17th too.

home study is an acceptable way .time is tight on the exam so knowing your way round the boook is essessential

I just passed my 17th edition exam at premier training in oldham £75 plus vat - nice people and only require 24hours notice! shakeys advice on which pages to remember came in very handy.

does anyone know of a centre were i can sit the exam only as an external candidate in the london / southeast / surrey area ?

recently done my 17th, the exam a test on your knowledge/ability to read regs book? 2 minuits to answer question? its like fkn who wants to be a millionare or countdown,if you were on a job you wouldnt give yourself 2 minuits to decide what route/cable/method you would<hope>take your time and plan it.a monkey<no offence cheeta my pet> could learn that and pass,its no indication they know fk all about electrics!

recently done my 17th, the exam a test on your knowledge/ability to read regs book? 2 minuits to answer question? its like fkn who wants to be a millionare or countdown,if you were on a job you wouldnt give yourself 2 minuits to decide what route/cable/method you would<hope>take your time and plan it.a monkey<no offence cheeta my pet> could learn that and pass,its no indication they know fk all about electrics!

probably for the best then Nath......

*giggles*

shakey 2 nathan 1

Reply to Any examination centers who accept external candidates? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock