Discuss Any Flour corp sparks working in Afghanistan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chris N.I

Are there any U.K/N.I certified sparks working for flour corp using this forum,if so what are the minimum requirements (quals,h/s,experience etc),for gaining a position as an electrician in Afghanistan?
Any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated.thanks

I just applied for a spark job with them. heard a few guys from scotland are out there now with them. doesnt seem to be too bad from what i have heard.
have you heard anything from Fluor?

Hi all I'm currently out here with Fluor coming up to a year in Dec. I dont have any 'special qualifications' as such, just completed apprenticeship and I'm still only 16th Ed.
The general process is apply online at thier website (you have to build a profile) and then wait.

Wages are roughly 2900 a fortnight (currency and bank rates depending) and the rotation is 90 days then upto 21 off. Once you return after your holiday you get reimbursed for your flights and the amount varies on where you live. I get 2800 dollars as I'm from Newcastle, but my mate from Peterbrough gets 2400 dollars as it is based on milage to your home address.

Any further questions fire away.

hi seedy gpord,

i am currently trying to get out there. Whats the accomodation like etc. also in day to day life how dangerous is working out there? do you get moved between bases or is the base you fly to first the one u will be in for your trip?

cheers

the accomodation varies it could be your in a 300 man tent or in a bhut with your own room and half a dozen other people in the hut (in their own rooms) and I've been on the same base since last december bar a couple of times when I've went elsewhere to help out with some testing. And some places get hit fairly often, where I am nothing happens. Luck of the draw in that sense.

I might be joining you gpord. im might be leaving in the next week or so.. what kind of Things did you take? how often can your clothes be cleaned? and what do you do to entertain yourself? and how often do you get to Phone/Skype home? sorry for the personal and interrogating questions but iv just gotta know..Cheers.

hey M60MRJ, congrats on getting a position dude. ive been trying, but havent had much luck. who is it your going with? what process did you take to get the call? private message me if you dont wanna give away any details.

take about a weeks worth of clothes, maybe a little more in the way of socks if you've feet like me. Pair boots, a good winter jacket as its freezing at the moment and will be untill march. a lot of the camps have self service washers, otherwise the bigger camps its a three day turn around for washing. As for phoning home skyping, I'm on a smaller base and could do it everyday if I wanted, but also I'd bring an old mobile with you and pop a roshan/awcc/etisilat sim in it, roughly 12-16p a text home.

And as for entertainment, it depends. I have my laptop with which i play a lot of games on and i also read a lot. A few boys have got indian sky tv. So you can set your self up pretty good depending on where you end up.

Take it easy mate and all the best.

Thanx for the heads up Gpord greatly appreciated. I got my laptop with hundreds of movies so should keep me occupied. what's the moral like in the team, do you all get along with service men on the base??

Personally I find a lot of the Americans ignorant and arogant. But thats the majority. Some of them are spot on like, and I'd say about 90% of the people I work with are spot on too. One word of caution though about your laptop, unless you get a green badge in Bagram, your not allowed your laptop or phone there, but once you get moved out to another camp you'll be fine so just keep it switched of and in your bag till then. Unless you get a green badge of course!

what sort of work are you doing seedy gpord, maintenance or install? still been trying to get over there!!!

I'm out there at the moment fluor are having a employment freeze untill feburary and are cutting down the work force by 30 percent i'm told that sparky wont be sacked. i find that the brits get treated like a 3rd class citizen with little or no privileges even with a green badge in bagram dosn't mean you can have a phone or laptop theres rumours that there not dishing out anymore privlages to ocns in the forthcoming future and what happens in bagram is ment to be rolled out over the country however theres only one reason we all out here, the money! any questions just sk

Last edited by a moderator:
so what's this Green badge situation then? i'm assuming its some kind of Permit to use electronics, how easy is it to get your hands on one.?

Fluor dont pay for a CAK card for the ocns (which they class brits as) this is beacuse they have to pay 3 -5 thousand dollars for one so they send us out here with out one, the green card is a badge issued by the military so you can work on army bases however there are firms out here that do pay for CAK cards for brits which makes everything so less anoying,

sorry for being stupid but what does OCNS and CAK stand for.? and does anybody happn to know if PHS engineers are given either a CAK or Green Badge

to my knowlage you can not obtain a CAK card or a green card by yourself as you have to go through a company to get one (CAK) and be on a miltary base out here for a green badge. We the brits are a Collasion force out here fighting the same war, However Fluor put us in the same class as a bosnian, masidionane, idian, and any other 3rd world citizian that they can get out here for a cheap rate, ( sorry my spelling is really poor) this makes us brits out here frustrated as there is always a threat of lossing your job if you get caught with a phone or laptop even a ipod but you can gaurentee that if the shoe was on the other foot the yanks wood be kicking up a stink. to my knowledge we dont treat the yanks like this on our bases out here

Reply to Any Flour corp sparks working in Afghanistan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock