Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Any idea what this is? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,

Just moved in to a property and this is outside. The meters and fusebox are inside.

Any idea what it is?
Is it safe to be open?

Thanks

IMG-20190522-WA0012.jpg

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
is there a gas appliance the other side of the wall? the most dangerous thing might be the blocked up air brick.

the thing in the square window is the fuse for the electrical supply, the grey cables take the electricity from there to your electricity meter inside the house.
There is no immediate danger in my opinion but it realy should have a door fitted as soon as possible to prevent damage.

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi - yes, supplier’s fuse and originally had a door on the box to keep the weather out. Needs a new door.

SJD

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Where is this open cupboard? In your garden or some open path / land with public access? If the latter, I'd be worried about someone pulling the fuse out, apart from being dangerous you'd be without power. It needs a door.

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
That depends on where those grey tails are going.... In through the wall to feed the consumer unit, yes. that's fine.... Cut off and floating about in the box... live.... not so fine.

Liverpool. The door's been nicked. Have a word with @telectrix about it
True, I made an assumption that as the op knew the meter was on the other side of the wall then the tails were attached to it.

Yes this is normal Allan however I would probably be in contact with your local DNO to get them to fit a new door.
your better of telling them that you feel it is an extremely dangerous situation, that way they might come out;)

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
P.s. DO NOT wash the cobwebs out with the garden hose, the spiders wont thank you and neither will your pallbearers

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
True, I made an assumption that as the op knew the meter was on the other side of the wall then the tails were attached to it.
I’m just surprised that the meter is on inside when there’s a nice handy box there for the meter reader to access without knocking on the door

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Any idea what this is? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom