Discuss Any IEE ISSUES WITH THIS INSTALLATION in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Scope of work . Run 2 x 2 core 1.5mm micc (pyro) from house CU to garage CU underground for apps 8 metres actually under some paving flags
PME incoming supply no water or metalwork in garage
20 amp rcbo protection at house CU
100 amp dp isolator in garage and two circuits 1 x 5amp for lighting 1 x 16a feeding 16 amp outside socket for car charging
been retired for a year so thought I would get a second opinion

Running the pyro in parallel to make it 3mm?

why pyro? Have got some left over?
It’s an art form that only us older generation have ever worked on.
Yes I have got a full reel and the installations I have done since a teenager are still going strong although most of the buildings ins in haven’t survived

I’ve had fun with pyro in a couple of churches and I’m not that old!
My more philosophical question is if you take a plain and simple 16A socket and decide to plug an EV into it does it, or does it not become mode 1 charging under section 722, and the delightful 722.411.4.1 then applies?
Any IEE ISSUES WITH THIS INSTALLATION 1626717243617 - EletriciansForums.net
Or is that just too far fetched?

last time i worked with MICC, the instructions were in Latin.

I'll swap ya for some 6mm² 3-core SWA. My world is too full of SWA and not full enough of MICC.

You won't get selectivity between the 16 and 20A OCPDs. Do you want the residual protection in the house or the garage. And, yes, earthing choices, choices...

Regarding the earthing issue what is the best practice then for car charging point
I hated to open that can of worms - but I think strictly speaking if the 16A socket is used for car charging then by rights you should select one of the installation methods in section 722 (updated in amendment one). Your call!

I'd suggest the quickest overview is probably this video which I think is very well made (though other charger brands are available):

Amendment one is available here:
https://electrical.------.org/media/2422/bs-7671-2018_a1_2020-inc-corrigendum-may-2020_read-only.pdf

Reply to Any IEE ISSUES WITH THIS INSTALLATION in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock