Discuss Any info on the proposed DOMESTIC Electrical NVQ3/SVQ3 that's on the horizon? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Galls and all in between and beyond!
I am currently evaluating my options at retraining and have heard that there will be a forthcoming NVQ3 for DOMESTIC ONLY electrical.
Where I live, the amount of industrial/commercial is very small, and the commercial work that IS there, is already taken by 'old boys who know old boys' - It's a pretty tight-knit community. As a result of this, and knowing that there is a heap of demand for domestic electrical work, I am sat here (currently off work with a torn neck/shoulder), contemplating what to do if I can't go back to my current job.

I've been a domestic sparkys mate before, so I know chasing walls and pulling cables can be physical, so this isn't some assumption that it's going to be a physically easier job... but retraining will be a good use of my time while I heal/repair/get treatment, if I find that I am unable to return to current work.

Has anybody come across any sources of information for the hearsay Domestic NVQ3/SVQ3 please?
I am reluctant to start throwing money down on overlapping courses and qualifications, if the proposed Domestic Course is already planned to cover it.
Does anybody know how much slimmer the course is likely to be, than the NVQ3? I've done mechatronic Engineering, and have a foundation degree in engineering, as well as being part-way through a Masters in mechanical engineering, so I'm no schmuck.... but that work doesn't exist where my little family live now, so I need to prioritise a potential sparky job before finishing the Mechanical Masters for funsies!

Thanks for any/all info, comments or opinions!

Scott

The DOMESTIC ELECTRICIAN NVQ3 has been banded around for the past 18 months and I have seen very very little actual evidence for when it starts and what it will involve

ive seen the level 3 electrotechnical in dwellings 5393 for apprentices mentioned, but dont know anywhere thats running it. my local college isnt, but are aware of it.

ive seen the level 3 electrotechnical in dwellings 5393 for apprentices mentioned, but dont know anywhere thats running it. my local college isnt, but are aware of it.
The fact that you have just given it a number, is a step in the right direction for me, so thank you.
That means that I can now check the C&G page for updates. (here it is for anybody in a similar situation to me)....

Last update was 15th September, which is only 8 days ago, so 'something' is happening with it in the background.

The fact that you have just given it a number, is a step in the right direction for me, so thank you.
That means that I can now check the C&G page for updates. (here it is for anybody in a similar situation to me)....

Last update was 15th September, which is only 8 days ago, so 'something' is happening with it in the background.
Imo the only important question is: will schemes accept this for part p scheme registration?

This is where i originally read about it. I'm curious about people who qualify this way, would go about doing commercial/industrial in the future

"The expected training period is three years, and the apprenticeship standard will provide a Level 3 training programme that will cover all aspects of planning, installing and maintaining electrical services within a domestic setting."

Knuckle down and in the same period you could complete a standard apprenticeship, while having picked up I&T qualifications along the way. At the end of that 3 years you could be waiting to sit the AM2.

Edit: Just noticed this last paragraph... The apprenticeship was developed by an industry employer group to provide a structured training programme for both new entrants and those already in the workforce who would not be able to complete the scope of work required in the Electrotechnical Apprenticeship standard for Installation and Maintenance Electricians.

If you want to do industrial work, it seems as though this would be the worst possible way to go about doing so.

"The expected training period is three years, and the apprenticeship standard will provide a Level 3 training programme that will cover all aspects of planning, installing and maintaining electrical services within a domestic setting."

Knuckle down and in the same period you could complete a standard apprenticeship, while having picked up I&T qualifications along the way. At the end of that 3 years you could be waiting to sit the AM2.

Edit: Just noticed this last paragraph... The apprenticeship was developed by an industry employer group to provide a structured training programme for both new entrants and those already in the workforce who would not be able to complete the scope of work required in the Electrotechnical Apprenticeship standard for Installation and Maintenance Electricians.

If you want to do industrial work, it seems as though this would be the worst possible way to go about doing so.
I don't get why instead of doing this they don't just account in some way for the fact that some people haven't got access to 3 phase stuff or industrial fittings etc. Making it a completely separate thing is stupid imo. What if you're doing this and then your employer gets a contract doing LED lighting in an Asda? Can't count that towards anything cause it's not domestic? I agree 100% with your last sentence.

As the OP is in Scotland the part p isn't an issue. I have learned over the last few years that there is definitely work for "domestic electricians" on the Isle of Arran. The local boys are so busy that there is a waiting list for even small domestic jobs. I recently went to Arran (nice drive, lovely ferry trip) just to do ISITEE on a holiday rental, to fit smoke alarms etc to the Scottish regs, and while there sorted a few other items that arose. The owners had asked their usual contractor to do this but were told that it would be 3 months before they could be fitted in.. Close neighbours asked me to do stuff for them too, but I had time constraints that meant I had to decline. I might add that the local firm that had installed a new CU a few years ago had done a very creditable job, but some of the original wiring was less than ideal. Anyway, there's tons of work in that lovely place, so well worth investing the time to become qualified. If only I were 20 years younger...
Incidentally, the beer in the bar at the hotel in Blackwaterfoot was excellent, the food on the CalMac ferry was superb, and I even managed to visit the quirky 12 hole golf course at Shiskine. Nice work if you can get it! I was very tempted to put "old style" stickers on everything saying they needed another check in 12 months, to get a return visit! The client put me up for the overnight, fed me, wined and dined me in the house, paid my fuel and my ferry charges and paid a very generous fee for my time. If only life was always like that...
The downside is that there aren't any branches of the usual wholesalers, so you have to order stock from the mainland and await delivery on the ferry, which isn't always as reliable as it should be, and often subject to weather delays. Best job I've had in years!

Reply to Any info on the proposed DOMESTIC Electrical NVQ3/SVQ3 that's on the horizon? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net