Discuss Any issues with this EVCP set up? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Bit new to the EVCP game!

I may be installing an EVCP soon. It is approx 60m from the house. Too far for wireless, therefore If I want it to be smart I need to run separate cat5e swa. Happy to do this, but I would like to be able to give the option (smart or dumb) to the customer.

Basically, if the customer is happy to just plug their car in and let it charge (controlled by whatever system they have in the car), is there any need make it smart? Am I missing anything? They are not concerned about getting the OZEV grant

I would be inclined to always put in some network options, as eventually chargers will have to be smartly managed in a more central manner to work for the grid.

Even for this install (based on your other thread) there are a lot of loads of what is probably a 60-100A / 3-phase supply so if the peak demands are high there might be a need for the charger to use a current transformer on its main supply phase (at the meter end) to allow it to regulate the EV charge to avoid overloading the supply.

yes as hinted at by @pc1966
many chargers need a special supply cable that has both power cables and a shielded signal pair that goes to a current sensor on the main incomer.

Bit new to the EVCP game!

I may be installing an EVCP soon. It is approx 60m from the house. Too far for wireless, therefore If I want it to be smart I need to run separate cat5e swa. Happy to do this, but I would like to be able to give the option (smart or dumb) to the customer.

Basically, if the customer is happy to just plug their car in and let it charge (controlled by whatever system they have in the car), is there any need make it smart? Am I missing anything? They are not concerned about getting the OZEV grant
Fit the myenergi zappi, they have to have the hub to get the grant, if they want it to be smart then you can get a wifi dongle to plug into it and have a socket midway down garden or back wall for power, the hub will likely reach charger. just fit the dongle/hubin an enclosure to weatherproof it.
If they are happy to have a dumb charger then put the hub in the drawer or ebay it once out the door!
If they need to update the chargers software you can download it to the hub and then plug in on an extension lead and flash it over using the bootloader menu on the zappi.
The myenergi hub/harvi uses radiowaves similar to wifi but different frequency. if the hub is at the rear of the house I think you will be surprised how far it reaches...
I am currently investigating the hypervolt units full potential as it has a full raspberry Pi inside so using the usb/hdmi ports could power a 4g dongle and turn it into 4g enabled... going to play with my unit this weekend.

You could look at the Ohme charger? the new one has pen fault detection, built in type a rcd protection and integrated 4g comms? not a bad unit, have fitted a few of the new ones

If you need to incorporate load management at the cut out given distances then the matt:e with whole house load management is the best option. they come in 60/80/100amp options with 3m ct clamp

Fit the myenergi zappi, they have to have the hub to get the grant, if they want it to be smart then you can get a wifi dongle to plug into it and have a socket midway down garden or back wall for power, the hub will likely reach charger. just fit the dongle/hubin an enclosure to weatherproof it.
If they are happy to have a dumb charger then put the hub in the drawer or ebay it once out the door!
If they need to update the chargers software you can download it to the hub and then plug in on an extension lead and flash it over using the bootloader menu on the zappi.
The myenergi hub/harvi uses radiowaves similar to wifi but different frequency. if the hub is at the rear of the house I think you will be surprised how far it reaches...
I am currently investigating the hypervolt units full potential as it has a full raspberry Pi inside so using the usb/hdmi ports could power a 4g dongle and turn it into 4g enabled... going to play with my unit this weekend.

You could look at the Ohme charger? the new one has pen fault detection, built in type a rcd protection and integrated 4g comms? not a bad unit, have fitted a few of the new ones

If you need to incorporate load management at the cut out given distances then the matt:e with whole house load management is the best option. they come in 60/80/100amp options with 3m ct clamp
What model ohme is that Gavin? Is it this one Ohme EV Wall Charger Tethered | Electricpoint.com - https://www.electricpoint.com/ohme-ev-wall-charger-mode-3-7-2kw-tethered.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=google-shopping?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&utm_content=surface_across_google&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqKuKBhCxARIsACf4XuHWbhgCg446omdVyE0NDQO9d-7-ZytFNk2vNbQMbO6tjik9Gli_FJsaAs52EALw_wcB

If so, it seems to only charge a small amount of vehicles which it lists.

edit.. i think you may be talking about the Ohme home pro? Ohme state that they pay for the 4g connectivity for the first 3 years, indicating that after that time the owner has some additional costs?

Last edited:
What model ohme is that Gavin? Is it this one Ohme EV Wall Charger Tethered | Electricpoint.com - https://www.electricpoint.com/ohme-ev-wall-charger-mode-3-7-2kw-tethered.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=google-shopping?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&utm_content=surface_across_google&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqKuKBhCxARIsACf4XuHWbhgCg446omdVyE0NDQO9d-7-ZytFNk2vNbQMbO6tjik9Gli_FJsaAs52EALw_wcB

If so, it seems to only charge a small amount of vehicles which it lists.

edit.. i think you may be talking about the Ohme home pro? Ohme state that they pay for the 4g connectivity for the first 3 years, indicating that after that time the owner has some additional costs?
The ohme has a type 2 connector and will charge any vehicle with type 2 port. They list a few but its not comprehensive.
The new ohme pro is the one...
Contact ohme and you can get trade.price direct...
After 3 years the 4g is something daft like £10 a year. After 3 years he could if wanted revert to having it as plug and play dumb charger.
In 3 years the tech will.have moved on a lot anyway so wouldnt worry too much.

In August there was press coverage of 'security flaws' found in some EV chargers, prompted by a report issued by a cyber security firm who had been investigating the products on the market.
Hopefully by now most security issues have been addressed by the manufacturers ? (Though there may be new ones unintentionally introduced in the future)

Here's the summary, if you're interested in this sort of thing!

Reply to Any issues with this EVCP set up? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net