Discuss Any problems with PRYSMIAN 6242Y GREY 2.5MM² TWIN & EARTH CABLE 25M COIL in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good afternoon, I purchased a 25mtr coil of PRYSMIAN 6242Y 2022 GREY 2.5MM² TWIN & EARTH CABLE in Screwfix at the start of July and found while trying to strip this cable using CK strippers, they parted the outside insulation but I could see that the grey insulation had not slipped up away from the Brown, Blue and earth wire,I then tried to use a knife to slice the outer insulation and use the earth cable to rip it I found it very hard to do this, once I managed to do this I couldn't peal the outer insulation off the live and neutral conductors. Yesterday I purchased another coil and found it was just the same.I had a piece of the same cable made in 2021 and found it stripped ok. Practically this is a problem which can be overcome but I wonder will this cause problems over durability? I have contacted Prysmian but have not got a reply as yet.

I've bought Prysmian cable that was difficult to strip on a few occasions. It's a pain, but not that big a deal. If using automatic strippers, you just have to strip shorter sections, otherwise use a little more effort with traditional techniques.

Generally when unhappy with products, I tend to vote with my wallet as other alternatives are available.

Good afternoon, I purchased a 25mtr coil of PRYSMIAN 6242Y 2022 GREY 2.5MM² TWIN & EARTH CABLE in Screwfix at the start of July and found while trying to strip this cable using CK strippers, they parted the outside insulation but I could see that the grey insulation had not slipped up away from the Brown, Blue and earth wire,I then tried to use a knife to slice the outer insulation and use the earth cable to rip it I found it very hard to do this, once I managed to do this I couldn't peal the outer insulation off the live and neutral conductors. Yesterday I purchased another coil and found it was just the same.I had a piece of the same cable made in 2021 and found it stripped ok. Practically this is a problem which can be overcome but I wonder will this cause problems over durability? I have contacted Prysmian but have not got a reply as yet.
I've had a few where it looks like they forgot the chalk and the sheath sticks to the insulation, at complete PITA.

I've had a few where it looks like they forgot the chalk and the sheath sticks to the insulation, at complete PITA.

That's been my experience on those occasions - literally nothing to help keep layers of PVC separate.

I like Doncaster, but it's generally expensive. Pitacs and PX come at decent (relaitvely, of course) prices and never had a problem with either.

Makes you wonder about possible counterfeit cable in the supply chain.

I've watched a few videos about that, but this stuff was definitely Prysmian. The cable is of the higest quality, but no chalk visible at all. The first time was annoying, but these things happen. The fact that it happened a few times over the years means I tend to avoid their cable. It's not that big a deal, but an avoidable and unnecessary hassle.

Prysmian seems to have a manufacturing process that doesn't use chalk.
It's a complete pain in the rear as flat wire strippers find it difficult to separate the outer sheath.

I'm thinking once I get through the stock of Prysmian I have I'll change to another brand.

It's a complete pain in the rear as flat wire strippers find it difficult to separate the outer sheath.

I'm thinking once I get through the stock of Prysmian I have I'll change to another brand.
Thats what made me think when it was mentioned ..They dont use chalk ! I love the cable .But Not sure how much Doncaster is etc more ?

As I have said cable with 2021 date on it are fine

I hav never had any issue with Prysmian twin n earth

My old fav cable with copper cable company

On as side note I am now paying 4 quid more for 2.5 prsmian than I was last week

wont be too long before we pay £100 for a roll of 2.5

Just found this on youtube.

The problem you're having with Prysmian cable has been happening for a few years at least.

There's no doubting the authenticity of the cable I've experienced the problem with. I've had drums that were easy to strip and drums that were a royal pain in the backside. Maybe it's an issue with one of their production lines, maybe it's an issue with one manufacturing plant or maybe it's a periodic issue with whatever substance is used to prevent binding.

The fake cable issue is a red herring, unless you can demonstrate reduced conductor CSA or the use of some other metal with copper coating - both of which are fairly simple to investigate. What would it benefit anyone to manufacture a cable to full specification, box it with another company's branding and save only on the price of chalk? It makes no sense.

The problem you're having with Prysmian cable has been happening for a few years at least.

There's no doubting the authenticity of the cable I've experienced the problem with. I've had drums that were easy to strip and drums that were a royal pain in the backside. Maybe it's an issue with one of their production lines, maybe it's an issue with one manufacturing plant or maybe it's a periodic issue with whatever substance is used to prevent binding.

The fake cable issue is a red herring, unless you can demonstrate reduced conductor CSA or the use of some other metal with copper coating - both of which are fairly simple to investigate. What would it benefit anyone to manufacture a cable to full specification, box it with another company's branding and save only on the price of chalk? It makes no sense.
Totally agree with your first part, we used to say at our work if a part wasn't made right it was "a Friday afternoon job" in other words they were in a rush to get finished LOL.

Reply to Any problems with PRYSMIAN 6242Y GREY 2.5MM² TWIN & EARTH CABLE 25M COIL in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock