Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Any regs (Part A) concerning depth of boxes? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Smugley

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all, quick question about building regs. I need to install a shaver socket (selv) and as these need a 47mm box, it got me wondering about the thickness of the masonry wall which I haven't measured yet but I guess is about 100 to 120mm. I know the regs regarding max depth of vertical and horizontal chases, but is there a rule about how deep you can go to chop out a back box? 47mm into a 100mm wall is getting close to 50% depth. Would this be a cause for concern? The IEE guide to building regs doesn't mention anything but I haven't looked up Approved Document A in full yet.. Cheers.

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
A

acat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dont think there is anything. Considering its size compared to the wall itself I doubt it would be a problem an extractor fan would go right through the wall and is bigger??? Thats my logic anyway.

Chris

S

Smugley

Cheers, yes that's a good point about the extractor. Just got me thinking about how big a hole can be before it becomes an issue for wall stability.

B

baldsparkies

Acro prop each side of the wall and install a 9" RSJ, before chasing.

Just kidding mate its not a problem, the chase out is not going to be big enough for concern, just take it easy as you aproach your final depth.

i agree no issue with depth of box, as said take care near final depth.
if you do chop right through to the otherside just put a picture over the hole:D

sparks1234

-
Arms
I think the logic is when you chase, if you are very deep you are considerably weakening the wall from either top or bottom to your box, obviously more than 50% will weaken it

Aico 3000 Range

Reply to Any regs (Part A) concerning depth of boxes? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom