Discuss Any suggestions please...? Low energy security lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Good Morning all....

Have a small job to do soon, replacing a a couple of outside halogen floods for a customer of mine.

At present he has a 1 x 300w and 1 x150w controlled of a standalone PIR. PIR fine just lights are shot, cheapy B&Q tat!

He wants to go for low energy, but not spend mega bucks. Ideally would be nice to change for LED but cant see them being that cheap to get the same sort of light output that he has now.

Other option could maybe go for a flood with CFL, not too keen on this though.... don't these take a while to get up to full brightness? So would then defeat it's purpose of being a security light. Or maybe they have improved them.

Many thanks,

Sy

LED is the way forward I reckon..... nice one,

Thanks for the link - surprised that worked - thought anything to do with TLC was automatically blocked

Sy

If they're on for long periods, then fluorescent or, better, LED are the way to go. If, like most lights on PIRs, they're only on for a few minutes a day, then stick with halogen. The cost saving by changing to low energy will be small.

For example, 500W on for 10 minutes a day costs £3.65 per year at £0.12 per kWh.

The same light on for 8 hours a day would be £175.20 per year.

then stick with halogen

Sorry should have explained in a bit more detail, they are on a thatched property and right near to the thatch! Recently coded it on EICR.

So heat dissipation is the deciding factor really on this one, cost saving is secondary.

Many thanks,

Sy

Over in Hamsterly Forest today, fitted four "Floods" plus PIR to main cabin of a bike hire place, and a "flood" with PIR to the bike wash.

Lights used on the main building were 15w l.e.d's (500w). Fantastic. We are now waiting for diversions from Newcastle airport. Off the top of me head, cost 23 sobs plus vat each (from Edmundsons). Now, if he can afford to buy a thatched roofed house, why buy cheapo B'n'Q stuff? I've also fitted 10w (300w) of the same make, which is JCC, elsewhere, both customers over the moon with them. Just remind him that he'll regain the extra initial outlay off his bills very quickly.

Reply to Any suggestions please...? Low energy security lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net