Discuss Any thoughts on these stair lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Saxby do some good LED replacements. I think the hole size is 55mm for those but they would probably fit as I think they are all much of a muchness.

Are you certain these fitting existing and replacements are suitable for where they are ... you have carpet adjacent to the fitting in breach of clearance i would assume, they are at foot level, anyone walking up bare feet cold burn their toes, as said already these are cabinet lights not really designed for said application. I would tell the customer the risks and also the fact they have left a massive hole in what could be structural (dependent how the stairs is made).

They are standard cabinet lights, any wholesaler should have them, the aurora flat round LED lamp works well in them.

As Darkwood has pointed out having holes like that in the stringer is a very bad idea for the staircase unless it was designed like that from the start.

Are you certain these fitting existing and replacements are suitable for where they are ... you have carpet adjacent to the fitting in breach of clearance i would assume, they are at foot level, anyone walking up bare feet cold burn their toes, as said already these are cabinet lights not really designed for said application. I would tell the customer the risks and also the fact they have left a massive hole in what could be structural (dependent how the stairs is made).

Over analysing again, DW! :)
Look at the joint in the woodwork, that half hole aint going to make bog all difference to the strength of that staircase.

Look at the joint in the woodwork, that half hole aint going to make bog all difference to the strength of that staircase.

How can you say that a hole in the stringer (and presumably a similar hole at each tread) won't affect the strength of a staircase?
The stringer supports the treads, and so takes the force of every person walking up and down the staircase.

How can you say that a hole in the stringer (and presumably a similar hole at each tread) won't affect the strength of a staircase?
The stringer supports the treads, and so takes the force of every person walking up and down the staircase.

Look at the picture, it's clearly two lengths joined together.
A few people romping up and down them stairs aren't going to bust them with a few semicircles chopped out of them!

Wood, amazingly strong stuff :)

Ok lets give you the drilling structural for arguments sake but these are Halogen class fittings and lets hope there is a glass cover missing off that pic' although its doubful, these lamps can explode and have been known to be a fire hazard hence glass cover requirements were introduced either on the lamp or fitting, either way I wouldn't be replacing like for like as it is too close to the carpet and contravene the the manufacturers instructions as well as been a fire hazard, Ive seen this done a few time but one occasion the carpet was clearly burnt, yes the carpet should be resistant but that aint the point, its a poor design with disregard to building and electrical regs.

Take a look at the lamp reflector it clearly states 30cm to the nearest surface, now call me a stickler if you want but Im sure heat doesn't just radiate directly forward! :uhoh2:
Think about the heat these dish out and consider a child crawling up the stairs ... sorry but this is wrong on so many levels! ... (see what I did there ;) )

Last edited:

Reply to Any thoughts on these stair lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net