Discuss Any tips on pulling single core cable into conduit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have today been pulling some single core cable into conduit and ran into a number of snags. Mainly the ball of knitting wool left after the majority of the cable had been pulled. We overcame this by adjusting the length of all cables to be the same when there was still only about three of four feet left to pull through, and improved on this again by binding the cores togther so that different length cores started being pulled in at different times.

Do you have any tips on how best to prevent the tangle of cable as you are pulling in? No doubt those of you who are doing it every day have it down to a T.

We have today been pulling some single core cable into conduit and ran into a number of snags. Mainly the ball of knitting wool left after the majority of the cable had been pulled. We overcame this by adjusting the length of all cables to be the same when there was still only about three of four feet left to pull through, and improved on this again by binding the cores togther so that different length cores started being pulled in at different times.

Do you have any tips on how best to prevent the tangle of cable as you are pulling in? No doubt those of you who are doing it every day have it down to a T.

Yes, set your drums up on a pipe vice/cable jack system with all ends coming off the drum the same way, draw in slowly and steadily and don't tape the singles together as they go in.

Bring back stranded single core cables!!! Those solid core singles are just NOT designed to be pulled into conduit. Better still, ...multi stranded flexible singles ...lol!!!

I assumed he meant single as in not multi-core, surely it's stranded 6491-X?

I was basically harping back to the days of say 3/029 / 7/029 and the like. Far better for pulling into conduit than the present solid cores. It is actually available in the Far East, not sure about the UK though.
The multi core single flexible i can't give you a type code for off hand, but similar, is commonly use for panel wiring. An absolute dream to pull into conduit, especially runs with multiple bends and set...lol!!!

Yes, 9 strands per 'single' I haven't used solid drawn singles in the last ten years thank god lol!

French chalk and a good fish tape

Re. Fairy liquid, I’ve tried to get extra cores through a conduit some clown had used it in. It dries like glue!

chip fat. it's brilliant. also doubles for threading conduit. better tip is get someone else to do it.

Tallow ....................also good for apprentices, if the conduit is "snug" long slow pulls, never ever tape circuits, couple of nice tapping hammers on any bends and sets, but don't get carried away with the "tapping" as a nice run can be spoilt by a big dent in it.

If you havn't got proper pulling jacks then a vice with a lump of 25mm can do as good, even a strudy broom but that can sometimes break, and marking drums and the end of the cable can be a time saver. Always pull under coil not over coil as they tend to snag going over, and nice a slow ..........

Because you'll naturally be aware of the high PH of 'Fairy Liquid' and the damage that can do to the ethenyls!

I'm right aren't I? ;)

Yep fairly liquid will deteriorate the cables.

Yellow 77 or equivalent goes as a greasy gel and dries to be like French chalk. Nothing else even comes close.

Reply to Any tips on pulling single core cable into conduit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net