Discuss Any Virgin Media, Field Techs out there? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jones750

Hi all, I have applied for a field tech role with VM and just have a few questions to ask. I have got through to the assessment day btw, this is next tues and will find out with a week on from there if i am successful or not.

The questions i have are:

Is the salary monthly or weekly?
any work in hand? i.e week in hand for pay.

and just generally how is it working as a field tech for virgin media?

Thank you.

I've applied for the same to see me through college, I used to work for them as a Techie in the call centre so I'm hoping I get through.

So an assessment day is the next stage is it? I heard there's a 3 week training camp in B'mingham?

Yeah i believe so mate, they said they pay for travel and what not so im not too fussed about it. I have worked away plenty of times so i no what to expect. I have the assessment day tomorrow. This field tech isnt a call centre job its going round to houses. Virgin make it hard to find out whats going on, they seem to always change how they do the assessment day, assuming to keep you on your toes. Just have to go in there and do my best.

I was a senior tech at vm never again! they run you ragged,the training is crap and you dont get proper test gear, an essential tool for fault finding on telecoms is the SA9083 meter, they showed them in training but didn't give us one.one day they asked me how come I could fix the faults that others couldn't so I told them A) I have all my own test gear B) I was trained properly at BT the lads were leaving in droves at one point,it used to be price work and you could earn good coin,then they just paid you a flat rate and ran you all over.Plus they wanted you at your first job for 8 am but you couldnt pick up your jobs till after 8 and they have done away with the seperate number for techs to get their jobs so you have to ring on the ordinary number with joe public.

I imagine it has many downfalls, but got to take anything If it comes up at the moment.

im still waiting to hear back From them, my application still says 'submitted' on their site. Is that where you applied Jones? With the online test etc.

Yes it said submitted, I think it was a couple days before i got an email of confirmation that i had got through. I was told by VM that they get back to you whether you are successful or not so you should hear something.Im not that botherd at the moment about work, if its a hard job, its a hard job. better than nothing. How long ago was this whilst you worked there Phil? Ive heard alot about they give you way too much work, but heard other people say that has changed. Hope so anyways, Its more money than what i was on plus the company van so all good from that perspective.

I know nothing about virgin media field works apart from that their exchanges are abysmal.

They are the worst exchanges I have ever been in, most of them converted old warehouses with a building within a building.

All cabling cabled under floor with so many cables piled on top of each other that the countless amount of air con blowing under the floors do nothing leading to equipment overheating.

Then there are their budget issues. Everything they do is half a job. They get halfway through a project then pull the plug! I'm not even joking!

When I was out of work I applied for a field engineer job with them. I got through to the telephone interview stage and lets just say there not bothered about if you can use a drill and hand tools! I was asked pointless customer service questions and how I would overcome barriers! I didn't get the job but I know some right numpties who work for them so sums them up basically!

I can imagine that working for these big organisations is just a pain in the arse.

It'll be a case of you are a number not a person and your manager will have ridiculous targets to meet and you will feel the brunt of it!

Although, Virgin Media just got bought out by some American billionaire so perhaps things may change, but he is a billionaire for a reason!

However, work is work and if it pays the bills then it's better than nothing and you will at least learn another side to the trade. Good luck with your interview and hope you get the job you want

hi i have a interview with Fujitsu nx week can you give me some tips ,i have no experience in this line of work,i worked in insulation before got made redundant, what are they looking for at the interview I really think i have no chance with alot more experience guys out there can anybody please give me some tips ?

I remember a few years back someone asked the same question. ans "Take a Stetson" its 's all the tools you require.
I used to work for them, from when it was C+W, NTL and VM.
well it just got worse and worse, However any job is better than no job.
My tip leave brain at home, there is no logic.
The test equipment is next to useless, I was told not to use my own test equipment, (we all do it the same way ) as in a previous post other techs were guessing as test equipment no fit for job.
and on a final note, THIS IS NOT A JOKE.
My line manager did not know what an "F Plug" was,? think that says it all.
well I was not going to tell him.

Hi All, I know this is an old thread, and although I am not electrically qualified I found this thread during a google session looking for something else and felt overwhelmed to give you all (and any future inquiries) an 'up to date' view of VM through a field technician's eyes as I am resigning from there this very month due to basically, being sick to the back teeth of the whole thing.

I cannot say where I work, for obvious reasons, however, suffice to say it's in the Midlands, and I have worked in all areas of the Midlands so it is safe to say my comments are not localised and degrading all areas just based on one area.

Training; it's pretty good although the 9083 and voltage training is lacking, all the trainers seem to regurgitate the 'training' and don't seem to have a true understanding of the voltage issues and HOW the meter tests; so, basically, most techs don't use the meter and rely on thorough end to end visual inpsection and replacement of connections in order to fault find/fix.

On the tv and broadband aspect, well they work on Db levels and as long as ALL F connectors are tight, the copper stinger is not corroded or scored or too long/short and levels at the devices are within lower and upper limits then that's the training pretty much covered. There is some input regarding attenuation, and basic loss over distance advice and after that, the 'training' is all on the job.

This is where you gain your hands on experience; and they DO give you around 3 months on a reduced workload to get up to pace.
But...... once you're on 100% workload, there is little contingency it you get behind schedule.
And that's where the problem starts.......... if you're behind schedule, you cut corners, so you either miss something or just don't plain bother checking.
And so the customer is getting half the quality they should because the technician has a life to lead at home and outside the company and hence the number of repeat calls to the same customer, or people on forums saying VM is crap and their products are poo etc.
Please try to believe me, if the technicians were given a lighter workload, they WOULD spend the time combing over ALL a customer's services when at their homes. They WOULD find ALL faults (even ones that haven't manifested themselves yet) and the customer WOULD get 100% quality service and have long term, hassle-free services.

Lately, the expectations on technicians has got, well, stupid to say the least.

Monthly meetings with a manager to review you performance leaves even really good, quality and conscientious techs. feeling deflated.

Say you attended 200 customers in one month, and for one reason or another, you missed a few things which resulted in a repeat call to the same customer within 7 days of your visit; it goes against you a reduces your stats.
The meetings are populated with loads of bar graphs, charts and percentages to graphically show your performance.

You don't get it right in maybe 4 of those 200 hundred houses; you're crap.

It's all wrong; there is far too much emphasis on QUANTITY!!!
You cannot acheive quality AND quantity beyond a finite point and VM are pushing harder and harder on the few techs they have in each area to constantly deliver.
They need more 'in house' techs who really do care about giving customers great service but they have contractors too, most of which don't give a ---- as their own internal problems such as constantly botched payslips, poor tooling and training etc all rob those guys of any morale they have.
So a contractor does a job, it fails, the in-house VM tech goes, he has a lot to do in around 34 minutes, he's already behind schedule, he has to pacify the angry customer, go over EVERYTHING (which can take around 30 mins itself) and then rectify poor connections, retest devices, fill out paperwork, use a device to test the Tivo and also be expected to house-clean a **** 5 year old computer the customer knows is pants but reckons if they whine enough, the wonderfull, pleasant VM tech will wave a magic wand and give it a new breath of life.
All in 34 mins.
Most of my visits, I found I was ignroing potential, future fault-causing issues and just fixing the most immediate fault to get things going again so they wouldn't 'bounce' on me in the next 7 days.
If it bounces after that, not really my problem.

Poor customer; how fair is that?
Not at all.

So.. in a nutshell, VM really do try, but too hard.
Their intentions are great; be the best most of the time and when they're not, 'fess up, put it right, and give the customer a little bit extra to say sorry.
But; they're drowning in their own self-imposed promises and in the process, they're destroying the customer faith they built up in previous years, and , more importantly for this thread, they're loosing more and more really good quality technicians.

Sorry if this seems really negative; I and a lot of others have done really great things for customers and put some massive smiles on customers who have been let down in the past; but usually this means taking the time, so you get really behind schedule and get home, really late (their '10' hour days are 12 hour days if you do your job properly).

So if you want to be a good VM tech., be prepared to learn fast from your constant mistakes, get used to your enthusiasm and morale being deflated regularly, get used to having more and more work piled onto you the harder you work, get used to going home LATE, regularly.

Or, if you couldn't care less, you'll last maybe a year or so before they get fed up and bin you legally.

Up to you really lol

There may be other VM staff that would contradict me from the field ops. side of things; I used to be like that too.
All happy and full of positive-only things; but give it time, no one could sustain such false happy morale with this organisation.
They suck you dry and when you're no use to them, they bin you.

Get in, make the money, get out; all on YOUR terms.

That's what the cable industry ethos is based on.

Reply to Any Virgin Media, Field Techs out there? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net