Discuss Anybody experienced with Bno distribution boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

E14RKS

Hi my names Steve running a small electrical firm in the southeast, I'm in the process if second fixing 4 flats which I wired couple of months back, I've wired plenty of flats over the years and when the builder asked what's details he needed for the supply, I said put down 5 single phase supply's. One for each flat and one for the landlords board, been along there today and there's a 3 phase head in place and power networks have said there policy changed in July and you now need to install a Bno distribution board to take the 3 phase supply and Then distribute it to 5 supply's, now is there anybody on here more familiar with which switchgear to use, and would this do away with the need for a fused switch isolator for each flat? Look forward to your opinions, thanks in advance, Steve

Hi my names Steve running a small electrical firm in the southeast, I'm in the process if second fixing 4 flats which I wired couple of months back, I've wired plenty of flats over the years and when the builder asked what's details he needed for the supply, I said put down 5 single phase supply's. One for each flat and one for the landlords board, been along there today and there's a 3 phase head in place and power networks have said there policy changed in July and you now need to install a Bno distribution board to take the 3 phase supply and Then distribute it to 5 supply's, now is there anybody on here more familiar with which switchgear to use, and would this do away with the need for a fused switch isolator for each flat? Look forward to your opinions, thanks in advance, Steve
Bno board?

Google
MSBD GF7 made by Lucy.....

Murdoch I work in the metering industry and my company does a lot of installs for large developments so I get involved in the initial planning of some sites to ensure the install of the metering goes smoothly.

Be careful with this. Can each flat choose their own energy supplier?? If there is just one meter and then sub meters then the flat occupier a don't have a choice of who they but their electricity off. I know I would rent a flat if the landlord dictated who I bought electricity from.

Yes they can chose there only supplier it's the essentially the same as the dno network but more dno's are not wanting to be involved with the installation and ongoing maintainence of these networks in blocks of flats for example.

The dno installs their supply to the cut out then the rest of the network belongs to the BNO that had the network installed. Can get very difficult if there is a fault as nobody wants responsibility!

Ah cheers Stu. I had heard that DNO's were going to bring changes to their multiple flat supplies. It does make sense from a DNO point of view.

So who installs the BNO and who is meant to take responsibility of this. I assume that this will also involve concentric cable being used to take supplies up to the flats too.

The building network can be installed by any electrical contractor as long as it's in accordance with the G87 requirements it's then sealed up at the meter points when the meter operator installs the metering to prevent illegal extraction.

the ownership is normally the leaseholder of the property though on existing sites it can be a grey area as they don't know they own it.

Ryefield or Bemco are the ones we come across most often and seem to be the accepted standard although others are found onsite but can't think of names without looking back at sites.

Reply to Anybody experienced with Bno distribution boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net