Discuss Anyone a spark for British Gas????? What are they like to work for. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

FJAMES

Hi was just wondering what british gas are like to work for?

A mate of mine is going for an interview they have promised him loads inc working your way up etc etc.

What are the hours like?

A mate of mine is going for an interview they have promised him loads inc working your way up etc etc.

What are the hours like?

Best ask your mate to make sure he asks the questions about hours and shifts when he's at the interview.... its always a good idea to have some decent questions ready!

Has your mate had any experience in the art of Bull droppings or power selling because that's what he will be doing most of the time.

A mate of mine is a pipe monkey for BG, he hates it and is trying to get out. There's a lot of pressure on people to sell.
From what I've heard I think I'd rather be on the dole.

Yep I work for them, have done for 7 years, regularly go into old people's houses scaring them into getting work done that is not necessary, who cares, we get a commission and you've got to look after number one........
At least that is what a lot of people on this forum think we are like, I've watched with amusement the way some threads turn out into a BG slagging fest!
To be honest they aren't bad to work for, you get a good salary, van, tools, pension and other perks you often get working at a bigger establishment.
I've never felt pressured to sell, though it is part of the job.
The hours are basic 8hrs a day but you have to commit to x amount of reserved hours annually which you do on an evening (till 7:30) and weekend (6hrs Sat, 4hrs Sun).

To be honest I want out but that is because I want to go self employed, but then I have colleagues who have worked for themselves in the past and think it's the best thing ever because it's easy work and they have a regular salary.
It depends what your friend is after, it's easy enough and you've job security but I find it a bit boring and before long will be making the break...

Yep I work for them, have done for 7 years, regularly go into old people's houses scaring them into getting work done that is not necessary, who cares, we get a commission and you've got to look after number one........
At least that is what a lot of people on this forum think we are like, I've watched with amusement the way some threads turn out into a BG slagging fest!
To be honest they aren't bad to work for, you get a good salary, van, tools, pension and other perks you often get working at a bigger establishment.
The hours are basic 8hrs a day but you have to commit to x amount of reserved hours annually which you do on an evening (till 7:30) and weekend (6hrs Sat, 4hrs Sun).

To be honest I want out but that is because I want to go self employed, but then I have colleagues who have worked for themselves in the past and think it's the best thing ever because it's easy work and they have a regular salary.
It depends what your friend is after, it's easy enough and you've job security but I find it a bit boring and before long will be making the break...

Thanks for your reply, i will let him know, im self employed and finding it hard, theres alot of under cutting out there by unqualified sparks knocking the worth of real electricians, so you end up working for nothing, everyones out to screw you for money (niceic, tax man, liability insurance etc etc, im £500.00 per month in before i start making money)
If your a one man band you wont be making any more than your on now,

Thanks for your reply, i will let him know, im self employed and finding it hard, theres alot of under cutting out there by unqualified sparks knocking the worth of real electricians, so you end up working for nothing, everyones out to screw you for money (niceic, tax man, liability insurance etc etc, im £500.00 per month in before i start making money)

What do you mean by reserved hours? do you mean on call?

Yup, thats about right. I think of it as about £25.00 per day!

What are the hours like?
My mate jacked his job in with them 6 months ago cos he hated it. Said all they wanted was a driver and a salesman not a spark.

Do you get unlimited stock of materials? are the materials under strict control of stock etc, do you get much installation works? Sorry to keep pestering you but your the only one so far on here that works for them. cheers in advance.

Do you get unlimited stock of materials? are the materials under strict control of stock etc, do you get much installation works? Sorry to keep pestering you but your the only one so far on here that works for them. cheers in advance.

If you've ever been on the receiving end of a maintenance call from BG you would know that "stock" is generally not on the van. We had c heating issues and the chap that attended, was not the chap that tried to fix with the ordered part and was not the chap that finally cured the problem!

There is a decent van stock, as a spark it's not really monitored that closely, but you have to use common sense ie someone is going to notice if you are ordering loads of tools or materials with no real reason.
I do quite a bit of install work, but then I know people who never do any and always do breakdowns.
As for Murdochs post, the electrical side is very different to the central heating side of the business, and let's be honest, we can't drive round in lorries, or keep a full stores worth of stuff in the back of a VW Caddy or Vivaro. If I need a part I always book the job back to myself unless there is good reason not to.

I'm not preaching about them being great, I work for them in order to feed the kids and keep a roof over our head, BUT they get an unfair wrap on here because of a few less scrupulous employees who try and sell where it's maybe not necessary. But that never happens outside of BG does it.....

There is a decent van stock, as a spark it's not really monitored that closely, but you have to use common sense ie someone is going to notice if you are ordering loads of tools or materials with no real reason.
I do quite a bit of install work, but then I know people who never do any and always do breakdowns.
As for Murdochs post, the electrical side is very different to the central heating side of the business, and let's be honest, we can't drive round in lorries, or keep a full stores worth of stuff in the back of a VW Caddy or Vivaro. If I need a part I always book the job back to myself unless there is good reason not to.

I'm not preaching about them being great, I work for them in order to feed the kids and keep a roof over our head, BUT they get an unfair wrap on here because of a few less scrupulous employees who try and sell where it's maybe not necessary. But that never happens outside of BG does it.....

Why would you call a very large anonymous Gas company when you have an electrical fault?

BUT they get an unfair wrap on here because of a few less scrupulous employees who try and sell where it's maybe not necessary. But that never happens outside of BG does it.....

But that pressure to sell comes from company HQ policy themselves , not rogue employees trying to maximize their earnings , so the bad reputation B G has in the eyes of the rest of the electrical industry , is to a certain degree justified and self - inflicted.

I guess as an employer they have alot of positive things to offer for potential workers , but they are a million miles away from being viewed as reputable as far as their approach to domestic electrical work is concerned.

Reply to Anyone a spark for British Gas????? What are they like to work for. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net