Discuss Anyone also do Air Conditioning? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-Matt

-
Reaction score
Since having to go Vat registered, and getting fed up of domestic work, I am looking to work towards going fully commercial/industrial.

I already have a fairly decent customer base of regular commercial customers, but currently need the domestic's to fill the blanks.

I am thinking of getting my F-gas and doing an air-con course.

People getting air-con in both houses and commercially seems to be getting more common these days (possibly cheaper these days?)

Considering there are not that many air-con companies around here, and being what they charge, there looks to be good money in it?

So wondering if anyone else has gone down this route?

What is it like?

It looks like a 10 day course and around £2K to do the full course, and im guessing a few £K of equipment.

So anyone do this?

I did but my Department paid for it, not an easy Trade to conquer in my opinion, fraught with to many unknowns, still if you feel like being a 10 day HVAC Mech go for it, I did all my training with "Airedale" in Leeds, trainers name "Mike Howard" very good he was to.

I did mine about 5 years back for another job. I’ve never done an install, it was all maintenance. It was through Grimsby College and the guy teaching it had been fitting ground source heat pumps for conservatories mainly. He reckoned they were one of the best ways to heat one in the winter.

I spent 3 years installing mono block heat pumps and later service and repair.

A good AC/HP engineer is a rare thing. Never claim to have got to that level but got to the true fault more often than not, eventually. Most are just component replacers.

The problem is there are four areas to consider.

1, The gas cycle which could be under/over charged, blocked or leaking amongst others.
2, The mechanical side, broken valves, pump the dreaded compressor, fan blades and motors.
3, the electrical side including the compressor start/run circuit.
4, the electronic side, especially with inverted models, all modern ones, including sensors and controllers.

The problem I found was a lot of faults gave very similar symptoms.

Now I didn't have the F-gas and did not touch the gas side, suction and discharge pressures and temperatures will answer a lot of questions I had to asume.

Now I did do refrigeration cycles as part of a C&G process plant course I did 25 years ago so have a fundamental understanding of what's going on.

So I'd be very wary of seeing this as a string to add to your bow as there is a lot to it, the industry is constantly changing and it the kind of work you need to be tuned into to do it efficiently.

You only need a few misdiagnosises before your name was mud.

A year with an AC firm would be time well spent.

I spent 3 years installing mono block heat pumps and later service and repair.

A good AC/HP engineer is a rare thing. Never claim to have got to that level but got to the true fault more often than not, eventually. Most are just component replacers.

The problem is there are four areas to consider.

1, The gas cycle which could be under/over charged, blocked or leaking amongst others.
2, The mechanical side, broken valves, pump the dreaded compressor, fan blades and motors.
3, the electrical side including the compressor start/run circuit.
4, the electronic side, especially with inverted models, all modern ones, including sensors and controllers.

The problem I found was a lot of faults gave very similar symptoms.

Now I didn't have the F-gas and did not touch the gas side, suction and discharge pressures and temperatures will answer a lot of questions I had to asume.

Now I did do refrigeration cycles as part of a C&G process plant course I did 25 years ago so have a fundamental understanding of what's going on.

So I'd be very wary of seeing this as a string to add to your bow as there is a lot to it, the industry is constantly changing and it the kind of work you need to be tuned into to do it efficiently.

You only need a few misdiagnosises before your name was mud.

A year with an AC firm would be time well spent.
It's never only all GAS and should be referred to as the REFRIGERATION cycle, there are times when the refrigerant is a liquid and sometimes a gas. Just saying. You may be better off taking the Refrigerant Safe handling course.
http://ratraining.co.za/articles/Safe Handling of Refrigerants 12015.pdf

Last edited:
It's never only all GAS and should be referred to as the REFRIGERATION cycle, there are times when the refrigerant is a liquid and sometimes a gas. Just saying. You may be better off taking the Refrigerant Safe handling course.
The refrigeration cycle explained in plain english. - http://www.air-conditioning-and-refrigeration-guide.com/refrigeration-cycle.html

I did my F-gas in my last job as the boss wanted all electricians to be able to do AC as well.

The course itself was easy as it is only a level 2, 3- day qualification.

Doing the job itself is not so easy. It's a whole trade and takes years to learn.

I did my F-gas in my last job as the boss wanted all electricians to be able to do AC as well.

The course itself was easy as it is only a level 2, 3- day qualification.

Doing the job itself is not so easy. It's a whole trade and takes years to learn.
Same as Electrics????

I have seen an all gas system, not through design, hence being called out to it. But I know what you meant.

Pete, give me the molecular mass of any given refrigerant and I'll tell you what volume it will occupy at any given temperature and pressure.

I'm fully aware of the refrigeration cycle and that the refrigerant can be liquid or gas, but always a fluid.

Sometimes it's easier to use genetic language.

I have seen an all gas system, not through design, hence being called out to it. But I know what you meant.

Pete, give me the molecular mass of any given refrigerant and I'll tell you what volume it will occupy at any given temperature and pressure.

I'm fully aware of the refrigeration cycle and that the refrigerant can be liquid or gas, but always a fluid.

Can't see how it can be a fluid, as you cannot compress a fluid it will mess the compressor up somewhat. If the refrigerant is returning to the compressor as a liquid/fluid then there is something wrong with the refrigeration system. It will eventually knock the suction valves to kingdom come.

you can compress a fluid, pete. my brain is fluid and is always getting compressed. that's what causes headaches. time for a beer and a lie down before steak and chips lunch. :D:D:D.

you can compress a fluid, pete. my brain is fluid and is always getting compressed. that's what causes headaches. time for a beer and a lie down before steak and chips lunch. :D:D:D.
The reason for the headache Tel has nowt to do with compression, Dehydration maybe, to much alcohol causes blood vessels to become saturated with toxins, I should know, mine is causing me severe grief at the moment, had it all day, to myself ease up Pete.

can't remember the last time i had a hangover. think i made the mistake of drinking a pint or 2 of smoothflow. looked awful, tasted awful, smelt awful, gave me the trots and a huge headache for 2 days. never again john smith, never again.

can't remember the last time i had a hangover. think i made the mistake of drinking a pint or 2 of smoothflow. looked awful, tasted awful, smelt awful, gave me the trots and a huge headache for 2 days. never again john smith, never again.
Quite like JSs never gave me any problem, honestly like drinking well nothing really. Better than Lager though, a more social drink ie the more you drink the less you get Ratted, just more visits to the Gents, or in Scoser talk the nearest dark place, only kidding.

Can't see how it can be a fluid, as you cannot compress a fluid it will mess the compressor up somewhat. If the refrigerant is returning to the compressor as a liquid/fluid then there is something wrong with the refrigeration system. It will eventually knock the suction valves to kingdom come.
In material science a fluid is any material that flows be it gas, liquid or solid. powder can be fluidised by using compressed air and blown around pipes.
There is a big debate whether glass is a fluid or not as it never really fully solidifies, probably best to leave that as a non-Newtonian fluid.

In material science a fluid is any material that flows be it gas, liquid or solid. powder can be fluidised by using compressed air and blown around pipes.
There is a big debate whether glass is a fluid or not as it never really fully solidifies, probably best to leave that as a non-Newtonian fluid.
Can be fluidised don't mean it can be compressed Boyle's Law I think

It's because the common conception is that a fluid is the same as a liquid state.

GBDAMO this bit is not for you, as you already know it.

The refrigerant is constantly changing state during the cycle. When it is in its superheated state after the evaporator it is 100% vapour to prevent liquid entering the compressor as you can't compress it, I wouldn't call that a fluid. When it's sub cooled and in a high pressure liquid state before going into the expansion device it's all liquid.
It's a 2 phase (liquid/vapour) mix going into the evaporator.

Reply to Anyone also do Air Conditioning? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock