Discuss Anyone bought a sub £150 SDS Drill lately in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mechie

Ok so I need to buy a new SDS Hammer drill this weekend ready for work Monday. I'd really like to be able to spend big as this tool probably see's more action than any of my other power tools, however got mouths to feed and money is tight so my budget is about £150

I was wondering if anyone has bought a drill in this price range and could tell me what make/model and what they think of it.

There seems to be a surprisingly large number of options in this price range and I want buy the best i can for the money.

Must be 110v and have rotary stop for chasing. I've always gone for makita's before but i don't care what brand it is providing it can take a lot of use and get the job done.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked too much of it, it was a tired abused old soul and hen I had a flat with floor to ceiling tiles MORTARED on all walls..... Hired a kango as well but alternated betwixt the two (kango heavy to chase with for hours). The grease nipple on the front burst in he end and it had an Ebola style explosive haemorraege (i'll look that word up in a bit) & doesnt really work any more. By god it was hot too

I asked too much of it, it was a tired abused old soul and hen I had a flat with floor to ceiling tiles MORTARED on all walls..... Hired a kango as well but alternated betwixt the two (kango heavy to chase with for hours). The grease nipple on the front burst in he end and it had an Ebola style explosive haemorraege (i'll look that word up in a bit) & doesnt really work any more. By god it was hot too
I had no idea there was a grease nipple on the front, where is it? I was at a rewire a few months ago and the owner asked if he could borrow it to drill holes in his concrete floor to inject crazy foam (don't ask :D ) i could see him struggling and sweating but thought nothing of it as i was busy pulling cables, after 10 minutes he said" your drill is getting very hot, it must be cos my drill bit is blunt as its not drilling very well" , i looked and he had it on hammer only! There was grease coming out of it and it was red hot, i banned him from any of my tools after that and he went and hired one, turd!!

Hitatchi, ITS, £90 quid. Had two, really took the pyse out of the first one so i popped in the end but for the money its great. Can't remember model but its got 24 in it

here it is

DH24PC3 - Hitachi SDS+ Rotary Hammer Drill - Hitachi - DH24PC3

Wow that's cheap! I wouldn't hae even considered spending under £100 as I presumed it would just be junk but it seems a couple of you have good things to say about this drill. At that price I could buy some new bits to.

Thanks for the input everyone. Anymore suggestions?

Wow that's cheap! I wouldn't hae even considered spending under £100 as I presumed it would just be junk but it seems a couple of you have good things to say about this drill. At that price I could buy some new bits to.

Thanks for the input everyone. Anymore suggestions?
screwfix got a 3 function bosch for £120 or a makita for £140, either of them would be good but i still reccommend the hitachi

I had no idea there was a grease nipple on the front, where is it? I was at a rewire a few months ago and the owner asked if he could borrow it to drill holes in his concrete floor to inject crazy foam (don't ask :D ) i could see him struggling and sweating but thought nothing of it as i was busy pulling cables, after 10 minutes he said" your drill is getting very hot, it must be cos my drill bit is blunt as its not drilling very well" , i looked and he had it on hammer only! There was grease coming out of it and it was red hot, i banned him from any of my tools after that and he went and hired one, turd!!

Sorry "nipple" is the wrong word, its not a grease nipple like the good old days on cars, there is a protruding bit at the front under the rotating head that looks like a nipple.....this grenaded and grease splurged out - BUT. Mechie do not take this as a sign of weakness, I was asking a 90 quid drill to do the work of a titan & it nearly finshed the job!!!!

Anyone bought a sub £150 SDS Drill lately {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Originally Posted by telectrix Anyone bought a sub £150 SDS Drill lately {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Amazon.co.uk: sds drill 110v: DIY & Tools

Was asking for some reviews from people who've recently bought a drill in the price range stated. Amazingly i already know how to search amazon

Sorry for being a dick if you were genuinely trying to be helpful

After doing a lot of research I'v decided to go for the [h=1]Bosch GBH2-26DRE SDS-Plus Hammer Drill[/h]
Not heard a bad word about this drill and a lot in it's favour, plus found it for £95 so got a bit of cash left over for some new bits for it

My boss has got the 32v cordless Bosch, we call it "The Beast" It's a damn fine bit of kit and well worth the money. Anyone who's got the doh and is considering it I'd say just go for it, it will pay for itself in no time.

For now the corded one will have to do me and I'm sure it will. Always been a makita man but my boss has a lot of Bosch gear and it's all top quality. Gonna buy myself the GOP250 multi-tool, that's a real handy bit of kit

well, i've got the makita same as the amazon one shown, with rotary stop. it's awesome. had it for 6 years and not a moment's trouble.

well, i've got the makita same as the amazon one shown, with rotary stop. it's awesome. had it for 6 years and not a moment's trouble.

Which drill was that? the link you posted just showed a amazon search for 110v drills, didnt indicate which one you were suggesting, thought you were taking the ****

HR2470T but it was less than that when i bought it.

I had a makita and found it afine drill for Sds bits.only fly in the ointment was the torque limiter came on all the time when using it for holesaws.
i have a Bosch 226 dsr with the removable chuck.never missed a beat.dont really use it much now as I use my metabo battery Sds all the time.

Reply to Anyone bought a sub £150 SDS Drill lately in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock