Discuss Anyone else unable to switch off? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

greekislandlover

I'm on holiday this week, and this afternoon we managed to prise the kids away from the cocoon of the Wii and cable tv. We went to a national trust property near here.

Walking round, I found myself not looking at all the marvels of the property such as art worth millions, but looking at all the floorboards that have been up, where the sockets and switches are, what type of sockets they are and working out if they need a rewire, and if so how I would do it! Every time we go round a stately home, I always do this. Indeed, last time I was showing my son the boards that have been up, and we were trying to work out if sparkies or plumbers had been there. My wife told me to shut up, and accused me of being a sad old git.

I've even sat in a crematorium examining the cable runs, and looking at the consumer unit that wasn't that well hidden.

Is it just me that does this????

I'm on holiday this week, and this afternoon we managed to prise the kids away from the cocoon of the Wii and cable tv. We went to a national trust property near here.

Walking round, I found myself not looking at all the marvels of the property such as art worth millions, but looking at all the floorboards that have been up, where the sockets and switches are, what type of sockets they are and working out if they need a rewire, and if so how I would do it! Every time we go round a stately home, I always do this. Indeed, last time I was showing my son the boards that have been up, and we were trying to work out if sparkies or plumbers had been there. My wife told me to shut up, and accused me of being a sad old git.

I've even sat in a crematorium examining the cable runs, and looking at the consumer unit that wasn't that well hidden.

Is it just me that does this????

You are on holiday and yet you post here ??????

sad....:)

Come on, we all do it.

My classic was to go to the Eiffel Tower and find a Merlin Gerin Prisma board on each leg.

And what's the first thing you look at when you've arrived at your Spanish apartment, the consumer unit.

We're not sad we're just enthusiastic about our trade. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it). :D

Must admit i am keen on a quick visual in some places just to make sure i dont go bang !

but my worst offense having been in the hotel and Restaurant business is when i eat out. i am always looking out at how the staff work etc !

Yes I do it all the time.
Mrs easy gets well fed up when we arrive at the holiday destination/accomodation & the second thing I look at is the cu & installation (first thing is capacity of fridge for loading of beer).

Went to beaulieu last weekend (recomend it as a good day out) & spent my time in the stately home & museum & grounds looking at the installations................got told I was soooooooo sad.

I think i take the prize here as i take my laptop with me a check in with my secretary, check Emails and look in on here but only when ere indoors is sleeping:eek:

Have to take my secretary on holiday with me along with the 3 future apprentices.

How many employees you got there spark-doctor, my aim is to build up then have a few employees but that'll not be for a few years yet, still enjoying it on my own with the odd casual labourer.

1 full time tester, he is nearing retirement and is happy just doing PIR's. I will probably take on his job in 2 years if i cant find someone.
1 apprentice.
2 full time sparks 1 male 1 female
1 secretary

Must say that it is a great felling of achievement taking on staff. You sit there and think "i am a employer now". I don't think i would have been able to do it without my secretary, she has been with me almost since i started on my own. Helps she is on the heavy side so i don't get grief from Mrs Doctor

Guilty as charged me lud:eek: i think we all do it its just because in our job we have to be able to think things through,when i go in a house for the first time i find myself looking around planning my cable routes without realising im doing it and yes the mrs said im a sad tw.t:eek:the worst one ever was when on holiday in cornwall i found myself climbing over a railing and looking through the windows of a sewage pumping station to look at the motors ,panels etc.:eek:

Same as, none stop snagging. In Sainsburys I just trundle round after the mem sahib tutting at every kink in the highbay trunking runs, messy conduit marshalling, (I can spot a missing box lid from ground level) runs of skewed linear flourescents send me spare, I almost want to find a chair and nudge them square, missing skt screws you name it, I'll take the **** out of it and point it out to Madame Carter who of course rolls her eyes to the heavens and asks for the third time "COD or fookin' HADDOCK?"

Last edited by a moderator:
i think every sparky will always spot certain things and keep there eyes peeled for stuff. its just natural for us to do it, we have superior intelligence to all other trades are controlled by the most amount of paperwork than other trades, but dont earn as much as other trades!

1 full time tester, he is nearing retirement and is happy just doing PIR's. I will probably take on his job in 2 years if i cant find someone.

Hmmm?? Mrs Carter loves Dorset, I love diving Dorset's coast, I'm caged in this God-forsaken city....can I get back to you? :D

we did a raise bridge over a ship canal once .every time i see it in a magazine im usually looking for the dud lights on the handrails .......sad

Reply to Anyone else unable to switch off? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock