Discuss Anyone ever had a L to N fault in a brand new socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have just spent about 6 hours in a freezing cold building tracing a continuity fault between L and CPC in a ring final circuit in an outbuilding. Not yet commissioned. This has 8 pairs of Hager SS flush double sockets in it (ie 16 sockets) above a quartz counter, and 4 double sockets beneath the counter in extremely difficult to get to spots (wired before the counter went in. Plus two junction boxes.

For some reason I had a L to CPC continuity fault (ie a short) and tracked this down to the lower section. The whole lot is wired in 6mm for some reason with 2.5mm CPC.

All of the doubles below are metal clad and all are Hager except for one, which is Click. I ended up removing all of the lower sockets and extending the cables (impossible to get a screwdriver in) and lowering the sockets. The fault turned out to be the Click metal clad unit which has an internal connection between L and CPC within the socket construction itself. Megger shows continuity between L and CPC on the socket, with no wires in it at all.

I was astounded. Brand new kit supplied a year ago, never been powered up. No visible damage of any kind. Does this often happen?

Had a similar fault in a socket I think. A screw used for fixing the socket together was inside the socket. Must have been dropped in by the assembler! I think it was a floor box socket. Probably posted a photo here somewhere.

A “new” socket that’s a year old?

Not commissioned building? Are you sure?
It’s maybe had something high load plugged in for a while.

I had one old socket go faulty on me. Neighbour phoned with tripped rcd. I was there til 10pm trying to find a fault on the wiring.
Had all the sockets off, and every leg was clear.
It’s not something I would have thought of before, but now I check

Yes. It is a slightly over a year old. It is a complete new, very large kitchen and utility installation started in May 2019 that was never finished or commissioned because Covid caused huge delays to a building project linking this building with another one. The electrician (very nice guy) who did the first fix work departed to work for someone in Dublin having suffered thefts and gone bust, and the builder doing the building work (complete new building linking two structures) died from Covid. It's a high spec job owned by a German lady who has been in Germany most of the time. It's now back on track.

As above. Very rare.
It has happened to me once. It completely throws you when you are fault finding as your detective skills and past experiences are all pointing towards other possibilities.

I remember my brain slowly and painfully forcing itself to ignore past experience and just listen to the test results which all lead to a faulty (new) socket. I changed the socket and all was OK.

Reply to Anyone ever had a L to N fault in a brand new socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock