Discuss Anyone ever worked direct for NHS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, ive got a possible job as a "electrical assistant" working direct for the NHS. I know the pay wont be great but Im hoping the scope of work there might be enough for me to complete a NVQ3. I was (before this possible job) going to get a mate job and complete the NVQ that way; so anyhow I have a few questions if you can help:

If i done the NVQ with the NHS, would it be a "maintenance NVQ" (as listed on JIB card) ?

Has anyone ever worked direct for the NHS ? Is it mostly changing lamps & ballast's or is it a bit more involved ?

Has there been any political moves recently that's resulted in NHS maintenance staff being forced to take a pay cut ?

Would anyone recommend (or not) working for the NHS ?

The job seems appealing cause its full time (salary) but dont really know what I would be letting myself in for !

Thanks

My mum works for NHS and the money is **** but the perks are good. 6weeks holiday + bank hold etc. Car scheme, discount cards, unofficial preferential treatment in A+E if you take your id card in etc
I've a friend who's a nurse in a+e and I took my son in one day a few months ago. The missus didn't bother asking me why we skipped a 3.5hr que and when straight to the question of "when did you sleep with her?" Lol

Ive seen a few jobs advertised over the years for sparks in hospital maintenance teams and the money offered has been, in my opinion,, insulting.
Local councils are the same.

Maintenance do very very little work, mainly change socket fronts changing bulbs etc any work is put out to tender. Thats my experience as working as a contractor in a nunber of hospitals. You wont gain much experience from it, ideal job to do when your coming up to retirement and wanting a easy life

Maintenance do very very little work, mainly change socket fronts changing bulbs etc any work is put out to tender. Thats my experience as working as a contractor in a nunber of hospitals. You wont gain much experience from it, ideal job to do when your coming up to retirement and wanting a easy life

Good point, but realistically if they do so little, why would they need an assistant. I find out next week anyway; trying to get some background info on what goes on with them lot

hi why do you need the NHS to do your NVQ mate?

I dont need them to do my NVQ, its just that (if) its available, it seems alot easier than having to go subbing (via agencies) to complete it. Remember I might have a warm desk to complete it on the job, all the paperwork (method statements, ect) would be readily available; and theres no too far to travel every day.

Thats a good reasons in my book

Last edited:
I dont need them to do my NVQ, its just that (if) its available, it seems alot easier than having to go subbing (via agencies) to complete it. Remember I might have a warm desk to complete it on the job, all the paperwork (method statements, ect) would be readily available; and theres no too far to travel every day.

Thats a good reasons in my book

that makes sense

Reply to Anyone ever worked direct for NHS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net