Discuss Anyone Go Night School/college To Become An Electrician? Not Apprenteship in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Did anyone go night school/college to become a qualified electrician today? Curious because most people take the apprenteship route but sometimes that is not an option. Anyone?

I did a year at college doing my level 2 in the day 3 times a week as I was 18 at the time. I then started my level 3 at the age of 19 which took another year and I did that one night a week at college. I worked as a mate whilst i did my level 3 and for a few years thereafter. I did my 2394 and 2395 at the age of 21 and setup at on my own in may last year when I turned 22. I don't have the NVQ or AM2 and as much as i'd like to do it, I just can't justify the price, for now at least. I learn everyday and respect the fact that I don't know everything. Going self employed was the best thing as I did as my boss would never put me on his books and the pay was really really sh*te. That said it was a stepping stone, I learnt a hell of a lot from it and in return he got very good value for money.

Sounds like you've got it all going for u mate that's really good are you enjoying it? I start my course is September and I do electrical maintenance currently industrial but would like to do domestic in future. Do you get a lot of work now being self employed mate? I'm 22 looking to be qualified by 25. Got to do 3 years

Sounds like you've got it all going for u mate that's really good are you enjoying it? I start my course is September and I do electrical maintenance currently industrial but would like to do domestic in future. Do you get a lot of work now being self employed mate? I'm 22 looking to be qualified by 25. Got to do 3 years
I do yeah, it's longer hours and I find it hard to switch off sometimes as I'm always thinking about potential problems on jobs etc but I try and make up for that in my pricing. In all honesty, my first year was slow but I still live at home with my parents so there's no pressure (which is one of the reasons I chose to go self employed). I've been off work for approx. 8 weeks with a fractured wrist from playing rugby and now I'm back all of a sudden things have just taken off and it's really nice. I'd say the majority of my work is domestic and 90% is word of mouth.

The only advice I would give is to stick with it and practice at becoming good at what you do. If you practice being good at what you do then you'll become quicker. Being quick and good is far better than being quick and sh*te. Drop me a PM if you ever need anything:thumbsup::thumbsup:

What you doing now mate self employed or contracted? And how was the studying in college did you learn much practical

If you can get a job while undertaking your studies. Its better cause you learn more on site than in a classroom. Atleast theory wise you be alright only practical.

Currently working as an electrician improver while undertaking the 2357 nvq level 3.
There still good electricians who are willing to educate, show you effective way of doing stuff.
Have an open mind.
Also am self employed

Reply to Anyone Go Night School/college To Become An Electrician? Not Apprenteship in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net