Discuss Anyone have experience in Canadian electrics or the process to challenge the exams in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

As the title says, is there anyone here with Canadian electrical experience or the processes in getting your skills recognized in order to challenge the exams?

I am looking at options to move to St johns in Newfoundland

Hi All,

As the title says, is there anyone here with Canadian electrical experience or the processes in getting your skills recognized in order to challenge the exams?

I am looking at options to move to St johns in Newfoundland
I have experience in working Mate, but sadly no info on qualifications etc, I think it's pretty much aligned to the US Regs, plenty of wire nuts etc, sorry cant help you much.

I did have a look at the red seal exams a long time ago. From memory they are a lot more technical than your average AM2 / JIB requirements. One of the guys I work with is a “Master Electrician” which is probably their version of Technician.

Things like transformer and motor calculations spring to mind. The biggest difference is that in Canada and the US the trade has not been diluted by 12 week training courses and part P etc. and is still a recognized, skilled trade.

I did have a look at the red seal exams a long time ago. From memory they are a lot more technical than your average AM2 / JIB requirements. One of the guys I work with is a “Master Electrician” which is probably their version of Technician.

Things like transformer and motor calculations spring to mind. The biggest difference is that in Canada and the US the trade has not been diluted by 12 week training courses and part P etc. and is still a recognized, skilled trade.
Agree but you as Joe Public go to the Home Depot (B&Q) and buy all the lectric gubbins for your House, although to their credit they do, in the larger outlets have a person in charge of the Lectric Stuff.

I had to re route a large 3 phase circuit, and we had an account at HD, but I needed to join the cables, asked the Guy in charge if he had some connectors that I could use, after tying to flog me some very large Wire Nuts.

I saw what was basically a barrel with 4 set screws an a length of heat shrink, basically a connector without the plastic insulation.

I needed to make 3 transitions in the circuit which equate to 5 of these barrel jobbies per joint, sorry Sir I can't sell you those as you need to be a "Master Electrician" to use them, after assuring I was an Approved Electrician in the UK he sold them to me, so go figure about their Master Electricians.

I understand that to be the case too, but am I right in saying it's just a written test?

Some samples I have seen seem to be more calculator than here as they do not have standard circuit, but it seems to still be a regs test at the end if the day?

I remember watching one of those relocation programs about a couple suddenly deciding to move to Canada. The guy didn`t take the advice from the presenter/ researchers and try to get a mates or labourers job to get some experience, jumped straight in and failed the exam twice. His missus got a job in a local newspaper office and was doing ok while he was stuck at home sulking and looking after the kid. From what I`ve seen when I`ve been there , it`s a lot like 70`s industrial kit. Double pole Stablock breakers , flexible metal conduit, 2-phase Ali mains , unsheathed earths etc. There`s some good You tube blogs showing materials and installation methods. There a lot of demarkation between grading levels and a lot more building inspection involvement that wouldn`t go amiss here.

I was there for a short time and applied for a job. The interview was drawing a motor stop start circuit and explaining it.

Then a 3 phase motor reversing circuit including labelling all control circuits but omitting CPC's for clarity.

was that as an industrial electrician? I am worried as there is no real opportunity for me to go over with a work visa atm, but as part of my visa I am to take the construction electrician red seal exam. I have been told there is a chance that there may not be a practical element either oO

was that as an industrial electrician? I am worried as there is no real opportunity for me to go over with a work visa atm, but as part of my visa I am to take the construction electrician red seal exam. I have been told there is a chance that there may not be a practical element either oO

It was at a contracting company's building site office. I think they wanted an all round electrician who could do any job on site.

Problem was I was only there on a six week holiday visa :(

Reply to Anyone have experience in Canadian electrics or the process to challenge the exams in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net