Discuss Anyone have or regularly use a Mini lathe for steel or wood? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

HumbleWorker 91RT

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Yo guys,

More than likely some of the older boys (naming no names) may have used a lathe once or twice, for machining little parts and bits and bobs on your home projects?

Looking at broadening my horizons and add some feathers to a pretty bald cap.

Cheers,
HW

More sensible than killing the bearings in your
mains drill ,
with a file / hacksaw--angle grinder -oh-yeah .
... Side-load..Mr Broadband advert...
( have some more chores to do before I'm allowed one!)
----Pillar drill there's a thought---

did do, many years ago. all the lathes and other machine tools we used were calibrated in thousanths of an inch. none of the stupid milli thingies.

I am lucky enough to have access to a range of lathes and milling machinery.
Always handy when making parts for old or bespoke tackle,with sometimes better results and materials.

In fact,i have to use one this week,if you can believe it...to align the crank,across a changed big-end,on a shaft out of a 1950's Danarm Villiers chainsaw engine :)

...The 21st century is OK...but i couldn't stay in it,full-time!

Always handy when making parts for old or bespoke tackle,with sometimes better results and materials.

In fact,i have to use one this week,if you can believe it...to align the crank,across a changed big-end,on a shaft out of a 1950's Danarm Villiers chainsaw engine :)

That sounds fun!

I doubt there are many of those knocking about nowadays...

Physically I am 25, mentally I am in my 60's at least I just want to make stuff anything and everything I can think of. I need to calm down a bit.

I have a small lathe and milling machine at home and a couple of large ones in my business workshop. I used to use my home machines for restoring firearms but I don't have time for hobbies so much nowadays. I made a wooden small bowl set on the lathe not too long ago but that's about it.

:)

Amen to that. I am glad I am on my way out , not in .
I despair for the young , I really do.

Cheer up:) every generation says that,and the youth at that time,don't know or care.

All the generations of my family,had something to whinge about...Polio and rickets,a couple of wars,the end of a trade,nuclear destruction(first time round),recessions,several flavours of terrorism,interest rates,bird flu...and all:rolleyes:

I've piloted a 38RB manual,on grab excavation...i'm not scared of the 21st century!

Cheer up:) every generation says that,and the youth at that time,don't know or care.

All the generations of my family,had something to whinge about...Polio and rickets,a couple of wars,the end of a trade,nuclear destruction(first time round),recessions,several flavours of terrorism,interest rates,bird flu...and all:rolleyes:

I've piloted a 38RB manual,on grab excavation...i'm not scared of the 21st century!
I have too , only it was on a 22. Also unloaded and reloaded gas pipeline pipes with 100'stick with an air puncher, so as you say life is not too bad :).

I'd rather have me hands on the pointy end of a cobra,than a 22 on air with cold clutches :)
Me pal is on a new LT11-350 with Mammoet,out in Spain...not jealous :rolleyes:

I could tell some bonny tales from that industry,as you probably could,too.
Trouble is,you end up either sounding untruthful,or like Rutger,at the end of Bladerunner :cool:

Yes , it has to be seen to be believed , my mate sent me a pic of his D9 after being boged up to the tracks on the drift after a rainy spell.

Ps , it's in up to the cab door.

...You've set me off,now...

Years back,(and this is legally important:)),a pal of mine had a piece of land,he was tipping on,and we needed a sizeable dozer,to strip off and start pushing in.
Another lad we knew,said we could borrow his 20 tonne Komatsu (them were the days) but it needed "bleeding and checking over..."

The machine was on Irlam Moss,up the road,which is a large,peat bog.
When we got there,only the cab was visible,and the farmer said it had been there since bogging,six months previous :(

We had to dig out to open a door,and dig out the front side,to clear some set debris from around the fan,which had locked up the engine,bleed and hey-presto...out of the ground she rose...like that mole Thunderbird yoke:)

On arrival at me pals place,one of it's first tasks,was to track in,12 dead and bloated sheep carcasses,which we had on the back of a transit tipper,and had already extracted much mirth,by taking it through a local drive-through Mc Dee's:(

I can still taste and smell the result of their exploding mess,when the dozer applied last rites...

...Now,who is going to believe that? :eek:

I will ask him to send me the pic of the 184 Marion that 'fell' over the dig and landed on it's side. About the size of a BE 195 and around 350 tons at a guess.

Sweet,nothing sadder than stricken plant:)

We had a BE 61 on diaphragm wall grab excavation,in Israel.
It could snap the 32mm digging ropes,like they were cheap cotton.

The Menck sat a lot closer to the grab,and when a rope broke,you had a few seconds to set the brakes,and dive over the seat,into the rear carbody,as the barbed loose rope,came down through the top covers,and maybe tattoo'd you,black-jack style;)

On site,now,you get a written warning for having your hard-hat,at a jaunty angle...

Reply to Anyone have or regularly use a Mini lathe for steel or wood? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock