Discuss Anyone heard of Elldue downlights??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Trying to find manufacturers instructions to see if they are properly installed at a job I am considering. They appear to be chinese import. It says they are CE but I have doubts about that. They have been installed in a ceiling that is ply with a 75mm space to the roof which is ply and insulation pushed away from the holes. As they are made of plastic I am worried they may be installed improperly in such a space hence the need for manufacturers installation instructions.

according to manufacturer void space is min. 48mm, so appear to be OK.

Thought so, that is the height of the fitting not the space required for heat dissipation and the CE mark on the light is a false one. Decisions decisions!

It does say in the link that the manufacturer will give you intimate details lol.
You may have to go through Amazon though.

I have raised the matter with amazon and looked at the seller (manufacturer) very little help but have raised an escalation on the matter as they must have documentation for CE mark prior to selling on the euro market. Looking at the trade mark guidance it is clear the CE mark on the light is fake. So as far as I can see at this stage it is not CE compliant and no intumescent seal on the light which is mounted on wood in a confined space with insulation poorly removed. Thoughts? A fire hazard imo.

If it is a commercial property the fire hazard it is the plywood ceiling not the light fitting. Intumescent seals do do prevent fire they make a vain attempt to stop its spread and to be honest even if seals were fitted the fact you have a plywood ceiling render them pointless.

I accept what you are saying but introducing a hole with no seal does rather up the ante on spread to the next layer. It is of interest what you say about "fire resistant" seals are a vain attempt at limiting spread. Can that really be so. As well being an electrical item and a chinese import with a fake CE mark, the likeliehood of it catching fire being made of plastic as well is higher than usual I would imagine to it does introduce some fire implications surely?

A fire rated downlight merely means it will act as a barrier to the hole it is mounted to should a fire start in its vicinity . A fire rated downlight does not mean it will not catch fire.

Reply to Anyone heard of Elldue downlights??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net