Discuss Anyone heard of this course? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Studs

Am probably way too green to be on this forum but if anyone is feeling charitable out there could use some advice. Am thinking of taking an electricians course with a company called New Career Skills. Heard of them? After 500 hours theory and 5 weeks practical they say you'll have enough qualifications and training to set up as a self employed domestic contractor. Part P and 17th Edition et al. But I've been told that without NVQ 3 I wouldn't be able set up. They don't offer NVQ 3. All set to go but don't want to waste £6000. What say you kind readers?

Sounds like a good option to get into the electrical trade, but £6000 in one go sounds scary. Make sure the course sillabus is exactly what you need and the qualifications are city and guilds recognised standards. Another website you may find interesting is Electrical courses, electrician courses as they do electrical training and is very well known and trusted.
Hope this helps

Studs,

You could also look and see what courses are being run at your local colleges, as many cover electrical courses and are usually a bit cheaper than private training companies. £6000 does sound a fair amount, however I sure I probably paid more than that for my qualifications. :mad:

Anyway get cracking on it! The sooner you start the sooner you will be qualified!

Good Luck!

Warren

Six K!! Imho all you'll have at the end is a lot of theoretical experience which is all well and good but as I'm disovering theory not helpful!! Do you know anyone who could spponsor you , govt give small grants an it all builds up. Don't stop because we need people with a passion but don't throw money away!!!

I think £6000 is a lot to pay out. There are many places you can go and get the same qualifications being offered here for far less!!!!! Search the internet, there are many companies out there offering this training. And you'll be doing it in a classroom with like minded people, not sat at home trying to understand it on your own!!!!

If you already have electrical skills through hands on experience then do the part p - domestic electrical installer course for @£1000 - You can then certify your own work in domestic homes(when you join a government approved body). - Ive done it after 1year at college doing my C+G 2330 and several years renovating houses with lots of reading in between. - If you are not semi competent you wont pass the part p practical or the theory exams as it is a test of your skills not a course that will teach you as you are expected to know most of it. Im still doing my 2nd year 2330 and will take my 17th regs soon(as evidence of my competence to other electrical employers i may sub contract from). Going to College 2 evenings a week (6hrs) usually equates to the same hours on your intense course - only you have time to revise at home in between lessons. After this the nvq3 is what i need to be a qualified electrician.... Agree with other replies if you are new to electrics do your research on courses(some you get what you pay for) - dont expect an easy ride if you are not up to it ,-as most of these guys are electricians and wont pass you unless competent not to kill yourself and more important other kill others... good luck

If you've no electrical/site/work experience, seriously think twice about enrolling on one of these courses.

All the quals and no experience? You'll struggle to be taken on.

If on the other hand you have a bit of experience and can spare 6k, then go for it.

Personally, I'd look for work as a labourer, electricians mate. Look into enrolling at college for your 2330 and work at it that way.

Granted, you've got 3-4yrs at college but, in my opinion, that's the best way.

If you've no electrical/site/work experience, seriously think twice about enrolling on one of these courses.

All the quals and no experience? You'll struggle to be taken on.

If on the other hand you have a bit of experience and can spare 6k, then go for it.

Personally, I'd look for work as a labourer, electricians mate. Look into enrolling at college for your 2330 and work at it that way.

Granted, you've got 3-4yrs at college but, in my opinion, that's the best way.

i would agree to this......kind of the way i went about it

geecam

I went down this rout and completed the course. but remember you still have to pay for digs and food while you are at the training centre and it aint cheap . I was fortunate to have done lots of electrical work allready so this helped me in the practical part of the exams . still stugled with cable calcs though . hope this helps cheers. stuart

Studs - A domestic installer package should not cost £6k. For less than this you can achieve Domestic installer status, 2382,2377 and 2330 L2 at Able Skills. If however you are looking to achieve just domestic installer status, you shouldnt look to spend more than £1100.00

I am doing the 2330 with OLCI. Cost £8000 interest free over 3 years. works out at £135 per month. that includes levels 2 and 3 and about 25 workshop days. it is a good course, see here: http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...869-olci-electrical-2330-course-any-good.html

I have looked at the tradeskilles4u site and at first glance it looks good £3995. but this is just for level 2. I don't know if it includes workshop time, which is essential if you want to go down the domestic route by yourself. This is what I intend to do. However, I do feel I could have found a simpler course for this route. 2330 is quite advanced and I am learning a lot of things which are going to be irrelevant in the domestic environment. It is very interesting though. Might come in handy one day. tradeskilles4u also have the 13 day course for domestic installers. Personally, I don't think what I have learnt so far could be learnt in 13 days and I'm only half way through the 2330 course.

Hope this helps
Paul

Sorry. Made a mistake. The course actually cost £4800

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Anyone heard of this course? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock