Discuss Anyone in the IET? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is in the IET?
Is it worth the £130 PA price tag?

Its something that my employer used to offer all electrical staff but they stopped ding it the year I qualified!
its something I have often considered joining off my own back but I dont know anyone who is in it anymore.

LeckyBill;824946[B said:
]not herd of them[/B] think ill stay with the best = elecsa

Bill,Bill,Bill,say you were joking please

In the words of John McEnroe

"You cannot be serious"
icon7.png

do do do do do i'm lovin it :oops:

For a typical sparky, then no, it isnt worth it. If however you are interested in more than installation, then it may be worth it to keep up to date with current and new regulations, as well as in related technical fields - emergency lighting, fire alarms, lightning protection etc.
They have the full library of technical resources, and offer a decent support for if you are stuck with a problem.
If you need to buy all of the GN* guide books, BS7671/OSG etc every time they are updated, then it may be worthwhile just for the discount offered on those.
I wouldnt bother personally with an Associate Membership, I'd go for the MIET level, someone I know got that last year, and was well pleased. They dont do many installs now, mainly I&T, so no longer a typical working electrician, more a step up.
Join the IET forum, and ask there for a more considered view than you would get on here.

Thanks Alan.
I was thinking of going for MIET or TMIET.
Not sure what is classed as a typical spark, ime a industrial maintenance spark.
Are there any other benefits than for discounts and support?

Cheers.

For a typical sparky, then no, it isnt worth it. If however you are interested in more than installation, then it may be worth it to keep up to date with current and new regulations, as well as in related technical fields - emergency lighting, fire alarms, lightning protection etc.
They have the full library of technical resources, and offer a decent support for if you are stuck with a problem.
If you need to buy all of the GN* guide books, BS7671/OSG etc every time they are updated, then it may be worthwhile just for the discount offered on those.
I wouldnt bother personally with an Associate Membership, I'd go for the MIET level, someone I know got that last year, and was well pleased. They dont do many installs now, mainly I&T, so no longer a typical working electrician, more a step up.
Join the IET forum, and ask there for a more considered view than you would get on here.
Hi Alan, that was a well informed considered view, even if it was on here :)

Reply to Anyone in the IET? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net