Discuss anyone know much about coax boosters? recommendations? in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I was always under the impression that if you had a decent splitter, ie evenly spread between all outputs, and the incoming signal is ok then thats all you'd require, no need for amplification

If you split a signal, say 4 ways, then you will get less than 25% of the original from each output. So the input has to be high enough to allow for the losses. Otherwise amplification is needed..

Why do you assume you will need an amplifier? Since switchover (assuming you are in a post switchover area) it is extremely rare to have to use an amp. Signal level is rarely an issue, signal quality is paramount.
Reading posts on this forum it is apparent that many people don't understand this so look at it this way. In the analogue days a signal level of 65(ish) dBmV was required to produce a good picture, the digital signals were roughly 20dB lower than the analogue signals and were able to be processed perfectly adequately. At switchover the output levels were increased to around the levels of the old analogue signals so even using an 8 way splitter (losses around 12dB) you still have 8dB signal more than you know the tuner needs to work WITH NO AMPLIFICATION.
You need to collect good signal (as your description of the aerial implies you have), deliver it to your distribution point as cleanly as possible by using good quality screened cable (RG6 as a minimum, CT100 ideal but expensive), split it efficiently (four way f type splitter from your description) then deliver it to the tv tuner as efficiently as possible (preferably direct into the tv but if you must use wall plates make sure the cable does not get kinked or bent which is almost impossible hence my dislike of wall plates). Simple, efficient, cheap and effective.
I have quite happily used 8 way splitters off an indoor aerial with no amplification, nowadays I rarely need to use amplifiers in fact I would say I remove unecessary amplifiers roughly in the ratio of 20:1 compared to the number of new that I supply. Obviously I have a big advantage in being able to measure the signal quality of the signals I am dealing with but the main point is is that amplification is becoming less and less necessary and I would suggest that the assumption should be that it is not required. If you have followed the above good practice and you are getting pixelation then (ideally) use a masthead amp (f type splitters have power pass legs) or a basic one way set back amp between the aerial and the splitter.
Additionally, incorrect amplification can destroy a good signal.

"Hello mharries1",

Sorry to Ask this Question so long after this Subject was closed - But could I Please ask your Expert Opinion about a Digital / Freeview Reception Problem that I have been experiencing ONLY since the Digital Switchover:

Would it be possible for You to read My Posts about the problem on here:

http://www.electriciansforums.net/f...e-worse-picture-quality-after-switchover.html

As I have written some VERY Long Posts / Replies about the problem it would save Me having to re-post all of the details again here - "Thanks very much".

I hope that You won`t be put off helping Me by the Long Posts - I have wanted to `Fully Describe` / Answer the other Members Questions Fully.

To perhaps prevent You from having to read all that I wrote:

I think from corresponding with other Members that the Very Large Increase in Signal Strength from the Transmitter at Crystal Palace [London] at the Switchover [ Increased by 10 X - to 200 ?] has caused the Signal QUALITY that My TV`s and Freeview Boxes now receive to have been adversely affected [?]

I am hoping that using a Variable Attenuator to `Turn Down` the Signal Strength from each Aerial may allow Me to inprove the Signal Quality - could that possibly Work ? - Or have I gotten the wrong impression about the effect of an Attenuator ?

Thanks for your help - I hope.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to anyone know much about coax boosters? recommendations? in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock