Discuss Anyone know of any council or Housing Association etc using Amtech or other software in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BrianDB9

Hi all

I'm trying to gather evidence of good practice by large social housing providers in using the likes of Amtech etc for recording either void tests or EICRs .

So if anyone knows of examples where councils, Housing associations etc are insisting on certain software or have developed their own etc i'd love to know.

Cheers

DB9

Re: Anyone know of any council or Housing Association etc using Amtech or other softw

I don't see the link between "good practice" and "Amtech" or similar software mate. Surely the good practice is this regard is to have qualified and experienced electricians doing the testing and recording the results which ever method the Council or Housing Association chooses to use.

Re: Anyone know of any council or Housing Association etc using Amtech or other softw

Maybe "good practise" was the wrong choice of words ?

Agreed we insist on 2391 etc qualified, and demanding proof of experience would be a very good one to have on the wish list, i think they do go through a probationary period but even experienced electricians/ testers can become lazy / complacent or bonus driven.

Your hand writing may be excellent (mines like spider scrawl !) but hand writing can be illegible sometimes, and when your reviewing lots of certificates you need them to be clear, trying to decypher lots of different electricians handwriting is not good for the eyes !

Holding paper records and being able to quickly find a particular certificate for a particular address is also hard although paper can be scanned against an address but that means manually scanning which costs in equipment and admin time.

Does anyone know how any large organisation with a testing portfolio of 25,000 properties stores and retrieves its certificates ?

Does anyone know how any large organisation with a testing portfolio of 25,000 properties stores and retrieves its certificates ?

I am not sure how most software providers store their certificates within the software, however I assume one of the most common ways of providing certificates electronically to a large organisation is via PDFs?

Even if paper based certificates are provided, then it is possible to scan them as an image.

Creating a database (with access or similar) of the properties with a field or fields to a stored path to the folder containing the relevant folder containig the documents is relatively straight forward and quick to setup.

You could even store certificates embeded within the database itself although the size and speed of the database would suffer.

Such a system would enable certificates, from whichever software was used (or not), to be stored and retrieved easily. Of course this database could be online in the form of MSSQL, MySQL or similar allowing access to the certificates across an organisation.

Don't get the link there Grant -what am i selling ? it's a genuine ask I couldn't care less about Amtech i used it years ago but i'm sure there are plenty of others available but what i'm after is if any councils etc like the one i work for are using anything , then i can "suggest" our organisation considers what others are doing.

Reply to Anyone know of any council or Housing Association etc using Amtech or other software in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net