Discuss Anyone know of any manufactures of small recessed DB's or any other options? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

Have a job to replace 6 way recessed DB. Have looked extensively online but smallest can find is 10 way. Seems there's
limited choice with these. Don't mind if have to chisel away abit to but need something preferably near the existing dimensions which are: Width 305, Height 180, Depth 80. Any help appreciated

The smallest flush CU I can think of is Proteus, but probably too tall for your recess.

Wylex made flush fit covers for some of their CUs. Is that worth exploring?

Edit: Proteus CU is taller and slightly deeper than your recess and here's an example of the Wylex covers I'd commented on, but it's also a bit too tall.

Last edited:
I think you will struggle to get the height as low as that. Is it an old fuse board that is being replaced?

The smallest flush CU I can think of is Proteus, but probably too tall for your recess.

Wylex made flush fit covers for some of their CUs. Is that worth exploring?

Edit: Proteus CU is taller and slightly deeper than your recess and here's an example of the Wylex covers I'd commented on, but it's also a bit too tall.

Thanks mate checked out both proteus to tell like you said and the wylex lids would of been a nice work around but again unfortunately the boards the are made for them are to tall.
[automerge]1600014305[/automerge]
I think you will struggle to get the height as low as that. Is it an old fuse board that is being replaced?
It is mate it's an old MK board attached photo

Attachments

• Anyone know of any manufactures of small recessed DB's or any other options? IMG-20200913-WA0000 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG-20200913-WA0000.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 57
Have you looked at skeleton consumer units, I have had a very quick look but difficult to work out what would fit your needs as the depth looks to be the problem
One thought might be to just use the guts and the cover of a skeleton board mounted in the existing box

Does it have to be recessed, get a big enough surface board to cover the existing hole.

I wouldn't have thought a ten way would need much of a difference in hole aperture it might even be too small. The existing board is ten module with the main rcd switch with a huge gap to the left a ten way would be twelve including the main switch.

The Hager flush 10 way board is only a little wider but is about 10CM taller.

Edit I'm wrong, the box width is narrower at 298MM
The box height is 252MM, still 7CM to cut out.
Measurements in install manual here.

I've recently changed several recessed boards, where it was preferable to keep them recessed. Invariably the newer boards are taller, so I just accept having to chop a bit of wall out.

Obviously easier if stud, but if brick or block then either manual chisels & hammer and/or battery angle grinder (since there typically won't be mains power).

rip out the guts. fit MK main switch and6 x RCBOs into existng recessed board. refit original front cover, appropriately labelled.

BG Nexus is another one at 366x252x68 for 12 ways so you would have to cut out extra 30mm around.
Alternatively use existing guts as sugested above and get some fabricators to make you nice shiny cover for it
Thanks Kropaske

The second option would be preferable if doable. What are you suggesting leave everything in internally including din rail? And mount RCD's, MCB's etc to this. Not sure if existing din rail likely to be suitable for this or if would be falling foul of manufacturers spec. But seems like it might be doable
[automerge]1600027937[/automerge]
rip out the guts. fit MK main switch and6 x RCBOs into existng recessed board. refit original front cover, appropriately labelled.
That's the way I'm heading Tel seems like most practical solution. Might be bit of a dumb question but is new MK main switch and RCBO's likely to fit existing din rail?

DIN rail is a standard size because it is manufactured to the DIN standard
Cheers mate ? I knew it was a pretty stupid question thanks for clarifying
[automerge]1600031075[/automerge]
with a bit of enginrerring ingenuity, anything can be fitted to anything. look at 1940's . american Mustang fighter was crap till we fitted a RR merlin to make it one of the best fighters of the time. and that was before the world went crazy (metric, i mean).
Very true Tel lol. Got my vote this the way forward will order bits tomorrow

Last edited:
I'd still enlarge opening to accommodate new box it's going to take you half an hour or so to do it.

If you going to refit old cover check first if your new mcb's/Rcbo's are not going to stick out little bit more preventing cover to shut properly.

Reply to Anyone know of any manufactures of small recessed DB's or any other options? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock