Discuss Anyone know of any manufactures of small recessed DB's or any other options? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

rip out the guts. fit MK main switch and6 x RCBOs into existng recessed board. refit original front cover, appropriately labelled.
Does the original cover meet the requirements of amendment 3 that may become the issue if trying to comply with the latest regs

It is never a problem of fitting the DIN rail, it is the busbar matching the new switch/RCBO that is an issue.

Might be as cheap/easy to by a MK board for the main switch and matching busbar and get RCBO separately!

I'd still enlarge opening to accommodate new box it's going to take you half an hour or so to do it.

If you going to refit old cover check first if your new mcb's/Rcbo's are not going to stick out little bit more preventing cover to shut properly.
Thanks for heads up Kropaske had already thought of this. Just going to order a second hand old mcb and compare it to new bits for sizing to be sure it's a goer

The new devices are approximately 8mm taller through the board cover. Dimensionally when on the DIN rail they seem okay. Whether they are compatible with that enclosure in compliance with Regulations is another thing.Anyone know of any manufactures of small recessed DB's or any other options? 20200914_165445 - EletriciansForums.netAnyone know of any manufactures of small recessed DB's or any other options? 20200914_165423 - EletriciansForums.netAnyone know of any manufactures of small recessed DB's or any other options? 20200914_170239 - EletriciansForums.net

The new devices are approximately 8mm taller through the board cover. Dimensionally when on the DIN rail they seem okay. Whether they are compatible with that enclosure in compliance with Regulations is another thing.View attachment 60813View attachment 60814View attachment 60815
Top man Westward. I'll have to check whether have the 8mm to spare. It's more likely that will go with RCBO's so hopefully these won't be much bigger. Don't suppose you have one of those as well do you? ?

No but the dimensions should be the same except the rcbo will be longer which could be an issue.

I'd also go with this for the amendment 3 thing, assuming the existing cover is plastic. I'm not sure if mixing different devices and enclosures is allowed.
It is metallic freddo. I hear you with covering arse with mixing enclosure but just seems to be a non issue in my opinion if din tails are all made to a certain spec and fit both same spec main switch and rcbos surely we have pretty much not changed any other important characteristics of a pre manufactured board

Another query for you's. I haven't had a chance to check out supply type for property yet so there is a possibility it could be a TT earthing arrangement although very much doubt it. I find the fact that they installed a 300ma main switch pretty strange. Has 300ma circuit protection ever been a requirement in previous regs? And also as my DB is only supplying a residential property with no distribution circuits or essential services am i correct in thinking even if is a TT installation 30ma rcbos or 30ma main switch would be appropriate? I can't see why it wouldn't be. Thanks

Having an RCD up-front above 30mA is usually a TT thing, or sometimes a fire safety for agriculture sites. 100mA is more common for domestic, but 300mA is just as acceptable provided the earth rod is below 167 ohms.

I don't think there ever has been a requirement on 30mA / 100mA / 300mA (or possibly more) as such. The main point has always been to meet ADS times and for TT that is often only possible via an RCD as you will struggle to get a rod arrangement low enough to trip even a 6A B MCB in the required times.

I suspect 100mA is the 'sweet spot' as less likely to nuisance trip than 30mA for a whole installation, and can had delay so it is selective with downstream 30mA 'additional protection' RCDs, whereas 300mA starts to demand an earth rod impedance that can be a challenge to meet all-year in some soil conditions without quite an effort for several deep rods, etc. Or the no-no of relying on a nice long buried metal water pipe...

Having an RCD up-front above 30mA is usually a TT thing, or sometimes a fire safety for agriculture sites. 100mA is more common for domestic, but 300mA is just as acceptable provided the earth rod is below 167 ohms.

I don't think there ever has been a requirement on 30mA / 100mA / 300mA (or possibly more) as such. The main point has always been to meet ADS times and for TT that is often only possible via an RCD as you will struggle to get a rod arrangement low enough to trip even a 6A B MCB in the required times.

I suspect 100mA is the 'sweet spot' as less likely to nuisance trip than 30mA for a whole installation, and can had delay so it is selective with downstream 30mA 'additional protection' RCDs, whereas 300mA starts to demand an earth rod impedance that can be a challenge to meet all-year in some soil conditions without quite an effort for several deep rods, etc. Or the no-no of relying on a nice long buried metal water pipe...

Thanks for clarification PC so am right in thinking then if is a TT installation if either install dual rcd board with non rcd main switch or all rcbos I have still achieved the required disconnection times. Thank

Thanks for clarification PC so am right in thinking then if is a TT installation if either install dual rcd board with non rcd main switch or all rcbos I have still achieved the required disconnection times. Thank
If all of your final circuits are off an RCD/MCB or RCBO then you would be able to meet the ADS times on any reasonable TT earth rod setup.

Personally I would still prefer an up-front delay RCD so you don't have a single point of failure for protection in something as complex as an RCD (which is normally seen as "additional protection" along with OCPD based primary ADS protection, and in practice don't get tested by the users), but it is not a requirement as such.

If all of your final circuits are off an RCD/MCB or RCBO then you would be able to meet the ADS times on any reasonable TT earth rod setup.

Personally I would still prefer an up-front delay RCD so you don't have a single point of failure for protection in something as complex as an RCD (which is normally seen as "additional protection" along with OCPD based primary ADS protection, and in practice don't get tested by the users), but it is not a requirement as such.
Thanks PC very valid points. I think I'm with you on that thinking to

Reply to Anyone know of any manufactures of small recessed DB's or any other options? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock