Discuss Anyone know some info on this fuse? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

A-Non-eMouse

hi all

can anyone help, I'm trying to fill in the 'characteristics of primary supply' box in on cert and need some more details.

hopefully the picture will attach below, anywho so far i've got BS88 and 60A rating. any ideas on 'Type' and 'short circuit capacity'?

I've tried dno and supplier for info but they both have no records.

thanks in advanceAnyone know some info on this fuse? IMG_4132 - EletriciansForums.net

i'd say 80kA if it's not marked as type II, assume it's type I.

We won't go down the road of why you holding a DNO fuse and carrier in your hand open ... lets just say you found it on a shelf ;)

We won't go down the road of why you holding a DNO fuse and carrier in your hand open ... lets just say you found it on a shelf ;)

Funny I went too a job this morning and I found mine loose on the floor just infront of the main head, must have fallen out! ;) I helped the DNO out though and poped it back in ;)

Have you tried the technical helpline of your competent person scheme?

Better not do that he will get struck off for tampering with DNO property lol

Have you tried the technical helpline of your competent person scheme?

Phoned niceic technical they said just right limitation in the box. I didn't tell them it fell out in my hand though.

Any others of you writing limitation when filling out certs? if the seals haven't fallen off already before you got there of course.

Better not do that he will get struck off for tampering with DNO property lol

How do you safely isolate the C/U without taking the fuse out?,

For safe isolation purposes when I am working on a C/U the main fuse comes out links or no links, I would rather guarantee
my own safety before being in any potential trouble with a DNO, once I have finished I tell the customer that they may contact the DNO to get the links replaced if they wish

The DNO does not have a list of which properties have broken or unbroken links, I would hope that they rather you worked safely than take any risks.

How do you safely isolate the C/U without taking the fuse out?,

For safe isolation purposes when I am working on a C/U the main fuse comes out links or no links, I would rather guarantee
my own safety before being in any potential trouble with a DNO, once I have finished I tell the customer that they may contact the DNO to get the links replaced if they wish

The DNO does not have a list of which properties have broken or unbroken links, I would hope that they rather you worked safely than take any risks.

Its a long run point of contention in our job but at the end of the day you are required to call the energy supplier in to do the disconnection and re-connection usually at an extortionate fee or request they fit a isolation switch. Whether you argue the point or not and express that its hard to catch and prosecute you it still comes down to been illegal to withdraw the fuse unless in doing so was an emergency to prevent damage to the property or risk to life (this does not include general board changes).

If I recall some areas have an active training course to allow Electricians to cut and reseal the fuses while giving notification - a scheme is active in Scotland I think but unfortunately not available to the majority if the country.

Finally old cutouts, damaged cutouts and those suffering from overheating pose a massive danger to any Electrician who has not been trained to recognise the hazards and risks regarding the removing of a fuse and the requirement of the appropriate PPE to protect yourself... I take it last time you did this you never give PPE a thought? Remember the upstream fuse will most likely be very large so a collapsing fuse carrier could see a very dangerous blowout/flashout that could easily kill ..... your complacent response show me you haven't given thought to the dangers of doing so and just focused on the inconvenience of not legally been allowed.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you and would want a system in place to allow us to safely remove and reseal ourselves but until then its a game of cat and mouse, caution though! with the introduction of some smart meters the power supply is monitored and logged and if the meters loose power their is a time and date stamp and consumers can now be put to task to explain why the power was removed to a meter when their was no Network issues in the areas - Im pretty sure with the threat of an impending fine the consume will have no issue saying they just had Joe Electrics in to change a board on said day!

Reply to Anyone know some info on this fuse? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock