Discuss Anyone know what this is.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A Buzzer or a Bell ( could be a Trembler)

Last edited:
whre does the cable come from and does it have any volts on it?

The solenoid is upright therefore it's a buzzer not a bell. An underdome doorbell has the solenoid pointing sideways with the striker at one end and the interrupter at the other. A 'ding-dong' doorbell has a chime bar at each end of the solenoid.

I had one of these when I was a child. I can't remember what I was doing with it but my parents noticed it was causing radio interference even though they couldn't hear the buzzer itself. Dad suggested that I should find out how to suppress the interference, so I researched the subject and fitted a capacitor and a resistor (snubber) which made a useful improvement. He could have just told me to stop using it, but that's not his style.

it's a vital component of buzz's warp drive and he'll be coming to get ya with his laser sight ray gun.

Apologies for the delay chaps and thanks for the replies...yes it’s next to an intercom in a flat it had an old deodorant lid covering it, didn’t have time to do anymore than take a pic, I have to go back as there is a problem withe intercom in that only one end can hear the other...

Check the wiring and also check the handset switch contacts as these are often unplated brass and tarnish in many cheap entry systems.

Reply to Anyone know what this is.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Does anyone know what this is found when removing old mirrored wardbrobes
Replies
Views
As per title. Does anyone know what this symbol means? It’s on a IP rated outdoor light and there’s nothing in the instructions to say what it...
Replies
Views
Got this to change next week. Customer wants same design even though I suggested plain white. She wants it to still match the sockets and...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I know the AC symbol but the one to the right i've not seen before or just not noticed it. Anyone know?
Replies
Views
Hi all - my daughter recently bought her first house and found this electrical device in the loft. Any idea what it is? It appears to be...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock