Discuss Anyone Know What This Is? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SeanWynne

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am currently removing an old beast of an economy seven storage heater from my flat. Its probably being in the flat since the early 1980s but is far too big and costly in relation to the size of the room its located hence why I am removing it. In the storge cupboard opposite the storage heater is a dial (see attached photo) which I think would have been the 24-hour timer for the heater. Can anybody confirm it is some kind of timer for a storage heater?? If so I would like to get rid of it with the storage heater
Any advice appreciated
Thanks
Anyone Know What This Is? MeteratFlat - EletriciansForums.net

Yes. That’s a time clock.

Normally that would switch over an entire fuseboard of storage heaters, which would be charged on an off peak tariff by your electricity supplier.

Is this the only storage heater in the property?

can you show us a pic of the storage heater, as some old ones contained asbestos. I think you’re safe with one from the 80’s though.

It's a timer/timeswitch, they were/are used on many things so could be e7, or outside light etc.

You would need to find out what it drives, unless you can identify this - following the wires etc you would need to get someone who can do this for you

Yes. That’s a time clock.

Normally that would switch over an entire fuseboard of storage heaters, which would be charged on an off peak tariff by your electricity supplier.

Is this the only storage heater in the property?

can you show us a pic of the storage heater, as some old ones contained asbestos. I think you’re safe with one from the 80’s though.
It's a timer/timeswitch, they were/are used on many things so could be e7, or outside light etc.

You would need to find out what it drives, unless you can identify this - following the wires etc you would need to get someone who can do this for you
Hi Thanks for your reply. Its in a studio flat which has only one large storage heater. I have checked with the energy supplier and they have confirmed that I am on an economy seven tariff so the timer you have identified must be linked to the storage heater. There is no gas in the flat and the only other separate timer is a 24 hour timer that heats the hot water. Bought that from Screwfix and had it installed about a year ago. Will check age of storage heater re asbestos. I feel more confident about getting an electrician in to remove the other timer as the only thing it can be linked to is the storage heater.

The times set on the timer would suggest an afternoon boost for the heating, but without tracing the wiring it could be for anything.

Reply to Anyone Know What This Is? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock