Discuss Anyone undertaken the 2394/2395 around West Yorkshire and can recommend somewhere? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JoWW

Hiya I'm looking at doing my test and inspection certs in the next few weeks and wondered if anyone can recommend somewhere reliable to take them around West Yorkshire. I know it has a very low pass rate and its obvious some places are only bothered about the money not quality of teaching. It's a lot of money to spend on a course so want to give myself the best possible chance I can of passing. I've tried the obvious places like the local colleges but they're all evening courses which I can't do because of the hours I work & I have kids to run round after.

Re: Anyone undertaken the 2394/2395 around West Yorkshire and can recommend somewhere

done mine couple of month ago. personally i think the hardest part is the written exam. the assessment centre/college has on control over the exam, cos C&G marking the paper and nobody knows the pass rate as every times are different. the practical assessments are fairly straight forward.

so i think it doesn't matter where you taking the exam.

Re: Anyone undertaken the 2394/2395 around West Yorkshire and can recommend somewhere

Thanks. Its whether the teachers are any good too, heard some stories about tutors not being able to teach in a way people can learn from them and also things like the practical assessment where someones made a minor mistake and instantly failed without an explanation of what they've done wrong or how to do it correctly next time. I know c & g control the exam but you need to have the learnt the knowledge required to pass it is my thinking. I think its partly because I know I don't have the experience/knowledge, I understand the testing side but its the fault finding and inspection bit I need to work on

Thanks. Its whether the teachers are any good too, heard some stories about tutors not being able to teach in a way people can learn from them and also things like the practical assessment where someones made a minor mistake and instantly failed without an explanation of what they've done wrong or how to do it correctly next time. I know c & g control the exam but you need to have the learnt the knowledge required to pass it is my thinking. I think its partly because I know I don't have the experience/knowledge, I understand the testing side but its the fault finding and inspection bit I need to work on

i think you can't really relying on the tutor. 2394/2395 are suppose for experienced sparky with some knowledge about inspection & testing. colleges/centres only doing some revisions with you so you need to spent some time to do some study yourself. what's what i did anyway, cos i am newly qualified & not so experienced, but still fresh with the theories, still took me around 3 weeks good study and practice on the pass papers(2391).

practical is straight forward. cos 2394 practical only require a full EIC for a stupid board and no fault finding. 2395 require a periodic inspection testing report, expecting some faults on the board, and u need to identify the defects on some pictures as well.

good luck

I was lucky and had a well known great tutor in 1997 with the 16th then 2391.
The practical/ workshop appointment was months after the paperwork was done.
He said on the day that C&G expect you to be able to do the practical on the way in to the workshop but that he would be happy if he was sure you could do it on the way out.
Kinda put your mind at rest.
A good tutor is a dream.

Boydy

Hiya I'm looking at doing my test and inspection certs in the next few weeks and wondered if anyone can recommend somewhere reliable to take them around West Yorkshire. I know it has a very low pass rate and its obvious some places are only bothered about the money not quality of teaching. It's a lot of money to spend on a course so want to give myself the best possible chance I can of passing. I've tried the obvious places like the local colleges but they're all evening courses which I can't do because of the hours I work & I have kids to run round after.

if you want i`ll send you some stuff on the old 2391....

should help....

and have you got GN3?

That would be great if you could send me some 2391 stuff. I have a GN3 book and also NICEIC guidance book on test and inspection its just getting it to sink in lol.

I have only actively been on the tools for around 12 months and still have a unit left to complete for my full NVQ which i'm on with at the mo, I was office based before as a project co-ordinator. I have some testing experience the only test i've not done is the earth rod testing, i'm quite confident that I can interpret the reads etc too its more the written exams that are worrying me.

Thanks for everyones replies much appreciated. I'll touch base with Eric :eek:)

theres the wakefield skills centre as well....

i think its Bob Walker thet lectures on their insp & test courses there

Yes I did. I've got my Level 2 & 17th Edition. Just need my full NVQ to get my ECS card which should hopefully be in the next few weeks.

I'm subcontracting at the mo and I've been asked if I can try get my test and inspection certs.

Ideally i'd have gone down the apprenticeship route but unfortunately I was told I was too old! lol.

Yes I did. I've got my Level 2 & 17th Edition. Just need my full NVQ to get my ECS card which should hopefully be in the next few weeks.

I'm subcontracting at the mo and I've been asked if I can try get my test and inspection certs.

Ideally i'd have gone down the apprenticeship route but unfortunately I was told I was too old! lol.
and just who was it that took it upon themselves to decide you were too old?

A couple of different companies I tried and job ads specifying age ranges of apprentices. Basically employers only get government funding for under 25s on apprenticeship schemes and I was 28 when I got made redundant and decided to reskill. I could have got an unpaid one but I have two children to support and a house to run.

theres the wakefield skills centre as well....

i think its Bob Walker thet lectures on their insp & test courses there

I will keep my opinions to myself on this matter BUT I will say this:- Only sign up if your 100% confident you can pass without any teaching involved lol.

They were investigated for their poor pass rates not too long ago????? Things may be different now?

I will keep my opinions to myself on this matter BUT I will say this:- Only sign up if your 100% confident you can pass without any teaching involved lol.

They were investigated for their poor pass rates not too long ago????? Things may be different now?

Thanks Paul. I know I wont pass without any teaching thats why I was looking for somewhere that can teach lol. I know how to test and interpret findings from results, its more the inspection stuff etc I need to get in my head. I've read the gn3 and niceic book I've got but I need have a go myself with someone observing who can show me if I go wrong

Give sirkit breaker (Howard) a pm. He works for a training centre in Bradford and I know they offer the I & T course. He's a good fella aswell. But defo only do it if you are really confident with it. Its not easy.

Jay

I think I've spoken to Howard after passing my 17th last year. Will give him a try if he's still at the same place. Cheers

well..i managed it..(2391) at the skillscentre

I think I've spoken to Howard after passing my 17th last year. Will give him a try if he's still at the same place. Cheers

he's not at the one in Brighouse anymore. But he did tell me the other day that his centre are doing the course at a decent price I believe. He still comes on here now and again. Just give him a pm.

Jay

Reply to Anyone undertaken the 2394/2395 around West Yorkshire and can recommend somewhere? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock