Discuss Anyone use a concrete nailer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-Matt

-
Reaction score
have been thinking of getting one of these, as things like fitting capping, conduit etc would be much easier/faster.

I dont really know much about these, and am yet to find anyone else with one to try, so wondering if anyone has one, and what are they like?

Do they consistantly bury the nail home in concrete block walls etc?
Work with red brick walls?

Now the bit i dont really understand is if its banging a nail in with such force to get into concrete, wont it smash/crack and plastic fittings your nailing into, ie conduit clip, trunking etc?

Was looking at the Dewalt (all my power tools are Dewalt) which is fully electric, which looks good, but i cant find much on reviews Etc.
DeWalt DCN890P2-GB 18v 2x5.0Ah XR Concrete Nailer - https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Dewalt-Dcn890P2-Gb-5035048666876-18V-2X5.0Ah-Xr-Concrete-Nailer

The other seems to be the Spit Pulsa 800E
This is a bit cheaper, and seems to have a larger range of accessories (ie conduit clips etc) however also needs gas canisters which seems to come with the nail packs.
RJ Fixings > Pulsa 800E Cordless Gas Nailer - https://www.rjfixings.com/products/pulsa/pulsa-800e-cordless-gas-nailer-20-pin-magazine/

So anyone used either of these?

have been thinking of getting one of these, as things like fitting capping, conduit etc would be much easier/faster.

I dont really know much about these, and am yet to find anyone else with one to try, so wondering if anyone has one, and what are they like?

Now the bit i dont really understand is if its banging a nail in with such force to get into concrete, wont it smash/crack and plastic fittings your nailing into, ie conduit clip, trunking etc?

Was looking at the Dewalt (all my power tools are Dewalt) which is fully electric, which looks good, but i cant find much on reviews Etc.
DeWalt DCN890P2-GB 18v 2x5.0Ah XR Concrete Nailer - https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Dewalt-Dcn890P2-Gb-5035048666876-18V-2X5.0Ah-Xr-Concrete-Nailer

This is a bit cheaper, and seems to have a larger range of accessories (ie conduit clips etc) however also needs gas canisters which seems to come with the nail packs.
RJ Fixings > Pulsa 800E Cordless Gas Nailer - https://www.rjfixings.com/products/pulsa/pulsa-800e-cordless-gas-nailer-20-pin-magazine/

If they do this to a human body, I don't think plastic conduit or trunking will last long@

You need to use the special fixings which are specifically designed for electrical work, have a look at ITW Construction Products - http://www.itwcp.co.uk/en/

We use the Hilti range, they do all sorts of cable and pipe attachments. I'm not really a fan of the stuff, works better in some materials than others. Shocking it can fire the nails right into steel beams with the point sticking out the other side. Make sure you wear nail gun rated eye protection, as the nails can bounce off the surface and towards the user.

We use the Hilti range, they do all sorts of cable and pipe attachments. I'm not really a fan of the stuff, works better in some materials than others. Shocking it can fire the nails right into steel beams with the point sticking out the other side. Make sure you wear nail gun rated eye protection, as the nails can bounce off the surface and towards the user.
Not working today then freddo?

Well i decided to get the Spit Pulsa 800E.

And lets just say its ----ing awsome!!

The 40mm nails go the whole way into standard concrete blocks with ease.

Its good fun too :D

Fixing steel capping is a breeze, hold the capping with one hand, then bang a few nails in with the other.

Trunking, pre drill a few 6mm holes, hold with one hand (or self adhesive and do one handed), then bang a few nails in.
If you dont pre drill it splits.

Backboxes, hold straight, then bang, bang.
Only problem with backbox’s is if you dont get it straight first time, you cant loosen the screw to adjust.

Plastic conduit, the P clips hold in the tip of the gun, hold the conduit where you want, place the clip and gun over and fire.

Clipping cable direct (SWA, Flex or even T+E), push cable tie base onto gun, press against wall, Fire, then cable tie cable to base.

Thinking of getting the magnetic tip, so can put a large washer on the tip then when you fire the nail has a large washer. I would like to give this a try with things like tray, however i suspect it may just crush the actual tray?

God help the next guy in 40 years time who has to go around removing all my nails :D

C0FD48BD-E428-4465-AD70-2F364CCF4940.jpeg

AAEF5B51-922D-43B2-8267-C829D2030F54.jpeg

1BB547D8-5A1E-48AD-9766-D8216F4327F7.jpeg

Used the spit pulsa 800e on a couple of jobs. First time we got it thrown in free as we bought enough fixings.

I reckon taking into account all costs, it saved us around 200 man hours of labour on the first project, so it pretty much paid for itself.

Don't bother trying it on red brick though.

We got a Spit 800E just for 1 contract
Fixing FP's for a fire alarm in an office block
Got the proper FP fixings that just clipped on the end of the gun which was great
Now don't get me wrong it saved us a load of time and paid for itself
But it didn't seem overly happy firing into the concrete ceilings
We were getting maybe 10% of the fixings not going in and just blowing a chunk of concrete out.
Then again knowing us it was probably user error as we read the instructions thoroughly like we alway do:innocent:
Oh and yes you're right it is good fun ha

Ok I'm a bit old fashioned and set in my ways but don't like to see boxes nailed in, I just think it's rough.
Hmm true I got called into our local council offices a while back for a dodgy fluorescent.
Ok I'll just change it for an LED batten.
Maybe I won't its nailed to the ceiling.
So admittedly not so much fun when the shoes on the other foot :D
Whole 4 story building like that........

Hmm true I got called into our local council offices a while back for a dodgy fluorescent.
Ok I'll just change it for an LED batten.
Maybe I won't its nailed to the ceiling.
So admittedly not so much fun when the shoes on the other foot :D
Whole 4 story building like that........

Just convert current fitting to LED?

Anyway I've discovered I'm now slightly addicted to nailing things now :D
Its just soo damn fun!

Spent today 1st fixing an extension which was all solid concrete blocks (no idea why not lightweight).
Fixing the capping with the nailer is just so much quicker and easier than messing with nails or clips or screws.

And yes i did nail the backboxes ;)

I have a job next week where i need to clip some SWA to 8mm steel girder, so have just ordered some 15mm hard concrete/steel nails to give it ago in steel.
However i can't get into my head how a nail could possibly go into 8mm steel :eek:

How are you finding these after some time, really flipping useful, gets used loads, or "seemed like a great idea" but ends up back of the van/relegated to shed or garage? (I'm looking at you EBS set)

Thinking about one of these primarily for capping but cost needs a little thought, the DeWalt I can supposedly buy naked and use my milwaukee batteries on, but the cost is still more than a spit who seem to be market leaders, but then there's faff with gas etc, hmm.

What do we think?

Reply to Anyone use a concrete nailer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net