Discuss Anyone uses a Yankee screwdriver in this trade in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

saabuldin

Ive seen a few people using them and im wondering if its useful for the electricians. Any sparks here use them.

If you dont know what im talking about, its the screwdriver which you push and it turns by itself, if you know what i mean.

about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike when you've got a cordless drill/driver.

Considered by many to be very dangerous.

I have actually seen an ashtray on a motorcycle once.
It was in America, so not that suprising really.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does require constant pressure to work though, there's no clutch to prevent overtightening, and if it slips, with all that pressure, it's likely to cause quite a bit of damage.
Of course, a normal screwdriver doesn't run out of batteries either.

Considered by many to be very dangerous.

I have actually seen an ashtray on a motorcycle once.
It was in America, so not that suprising really.

especially when working on live terminals. OOPS, we don't do we?

I remember I joiner telling me that a lot of sites banned them because you could slip and seriously injure yourself. He told me that he was caught with one and the site foreman threw it over the fence.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

In this day and age of 'elf n safedy' most site managers would ban them after the tenth entry into the accident book ! I also heard people used to use a hammer and nails to fix bits of wood together instead of a paslode ? nutters !

If you owned a Yankee,you were "with it","cool",on top of the technology that the Americans had consigned to history,but still new over here, and what a tool to own

Owning one meant a world of difference between screwing something up with a standard driver that took forever, and using the bees knees yankee

Never oil a yankee,the shaft had to be crystal clear and the spring action when it was released would certainly be measured by how many eyes it could gouge out in a shift

It played its part at one time,but in retrospect,its amazing how it was permitted

I bought one recently at a boot fair, remembering how wonderful they were in years past! Never used it and realised that when they were wonderful there wasn't a cordless anything to compare it to. Great kit but probably best left to the past with meggers that had winding handles. ;)

i think mine is in the bottom of toolbox in the laboratory for the last 20 years.
it was handy for site work and repetitive fixings with old slotted screws tho.
while we are all retro, anyone remember the rawlplug tool??
for the yoot of the day it was a bit of metal you belted with a hammer and turned with each belt to make holes for rawlplugs! it was quite quick in brick and block if my memory is correct.usually for firms that were too tight to buy a hammer drill for each man.probably the reason i have forearms like popeye now.and a mangled hand.

i remember being given a 1/2" star chisel, by a tight fisted boss. to go through a brick wall for a cable. laugh was on him when a whole brick fell out in the customer's sitting room along with a square yard of plaster and a load of expensive wallpaper, fell on the piano. for what the boss had to pay out in damages, he could have equipped all 6 of us with top of the range hammer drills.

Reply to Anyone uses a Yankee screwdriver in this trade in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net