Discuss Anyone willing to critique our business website? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Fox Electrical

Hi all. Had our website revamped a few months ago and since then quite a few changes have been made and also quite a few planned (& in progress)

Just wondering if anyone could give me some constructive feedback on it.

One of the thing I don't think is communicated very well is the fact that we are a family business & I beleive that give people piece of mind so somthing I'd like to change.

Our Google ranking has also dropped drasticly recently so any SEO tips would be welcome too :smilewinkgrin:

http://www.fox-electrical-services.co.uk

Thanks Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Im no expert on web design. But i will comment on what i see, on the promo video, that wifes voice gets on my nerves,there where a few Health and safety issues too. Safe working at heights, and working live. Yes i know most of us work like this every day. It looks scenty all the H&S, PPE ,but its a must, and its the major box tick in tendering lager contracts, likes of vehicle tracking etc.

On the whole i found the site easy to navigate, well presented an informative.

I hope i havnt rained on your parade.

Regards

Last edited:
nice website, except for the call-centre style female voice over. irritating. and noticed "electrician's" where there should be no apostrophe. check through.

Some of the wording needs tidying up a bit mate, eg "Serving electrical appliances is one of the services Fox Electrical offers." The colours used are a bit garish for me but I've been known to be wrong on one or two occasions. I think you've made enough of the fact that you're a family business but maybe a bit about the history would be good. I loved the first line from Charity in the testimonials, made me chortle anyway.

The major thing that I think you need is more content. More details on what you do. You need Google to believe you are the experts in Nottingham. I think who ever has created the text to go on the site has 'keyword stuffed' (How many times is 'Nottingham' mentioned, is that the only town/village you cover?) some of the pages, which Google might not like. Did you get a discount for the link to the company who built the site having a link to their site on every page. Is your Blog more important than your services? The top menu should be in order of importance to your visitors. On the services page there is no info on fuseboards. Plus what about rewires, fault rectification, installation, new circuits, to name but a few things. Do you do commercial?
Looking at the code they have written they have way too much code on the page for my liking. Lots of Javascript and Style info that should be in external files.

What terms did you say you want your site to appear on google for 'Nottingham'!

The site looks OK but I doubt the companies SEO credentials. What SEO strategy did they say they are going to use?

Sorry to sound negative but I believe there are lots of improvements that could be made.

Very good site, only one thing pricked me, it was the bit on the flash banner about old consumer units being death traps, o.k. rcd's are a great thing, I dunno sounds a bit like a British gas sparks sales pitch?

spelling mistakes and very bad written information IMO, to me it just gives the obvious feel of a home made website and not very proffessional, sorry to give criticism just an hones opinion,

atb

the site looks ok, couldn't tell you about the sound don,t use speakers on this pc, one thing I would change is on the alarm systems page where you say no or little damage to your property, people could take it as you could damage there property and there is nothing there saying if you do it will be sorted out, but that's probably just me being picky lol

Fox I live down the road from your shop, and hand on heart I didn't even realise you carried out electrical installations I assumed you was an appliance repair shop. Maybe you should invest in some advertising outside your shop you are on a prime busy road with a lot of passing trade usually stand still traffic some plenty of time to take it in. And the website looks ok to me maybe include a neater con unit pic than the one you've used. Apart from that ok.

Very good site, only one thing pricked me, it was the bit on the flash banner about old consumer units being death traps, o.k. rcd's are a great thing, I dunno sounds a bit like a British gas sparks sales pitch?

All of that is quoted from the electrical safety council website, if its good enough for them its good enough for me. If it generates more business (which lets face it - is the sole aim of a website) for us and people are much safer for it then I'll still be able to sleep at night. :)

Thanks for the feedback - Adam

Fox I live down the road from your shop, and hand on heart I didn't even realise you carried out electrical installations I assumed you was an appliance repair shop. Maybe you should invest in some advertising outside your shop you are on a prime busy road with a lot of passing trade usually stand still traffic some plenty of time to take it in. And the website looks ok to me maybe include a neater con unit pic than the one you've used. Apart from that ok.

I have to say that isnt the first time I've heard that. The shop has been relatively unchanged for years and its only recently as directorship has been passed from father to son that 'changes' are being made. Hence the step into the 21st century with this website :) Weve also illuminated the front of the shop now at night time and have started clearing away 20 years worth of obsolete rubbish that resided inside and are bringing it slowly up to date. You will see changes outside the shop soon :)

thanks for feedback

If I was a small customer I wouldn't call you.

The voice over is a tad annoying, as is the music and the home page is a bit "busy"

Your not the 1st person to mention this, we'll see what we can do.

with regard to the "If I was a small customer I wouldn't call you." comment can you expand on that at all? Does it come accross as too 'corperate'? - Intrested to hear your views

Thanks Adam

The loud video and music does you no favours yes have it but not blaring in peoples ears so let the visitor switch it on but like any site it needs fine tuned.
Also think of putting a subdomain with a mobile site on it and HTML code on the main site that senses it is be surfed by a mobile device ie phone tablet because thats the way its going

Having your hourly rates listed could possibly put off a lot of small customers!

They will see your rates then look for cheaper without making an enquiry!

Just a thought

“My name is charity and I had the privilege to be serviced by Adam this morning"

Could not help but laugh at this...

Also looks like somebody complemented you on brick work and a roof?? made me think they were made up. Just my opinion.

I like the price page. If there going to be put off by that you don't won't them as a customer anyway saves wasting your time. Overall nice modern web site.

Reply to Anyone willing to critique our business website? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock