Discuss Anyone worried about working at the moment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
Just a quick one, maybe just to share my worries, I need to work to keep money coming in I’m mainly doing faults, outside work or empty property work. I’ve got 3 kids and a wife I need to think of both in terms of feeding them and keeping the rent going but also not to give them corona.
I check the customer is ok before I go in and wear a mask.
I just wanted to see if you chaps are working and you feel about it.

Working nearly back to normal now.
Most of my work at moment is outside fitting EV Chargers or outside lighting. So no problems distancing for majority of the time.
Where I am indoors then I explain to customer the need to keep away and I wear full PPE.
Got some commercial work in next couple of weeks in a largely empty warehouse, it's 2 person print company. Will be replacing lights with Led Highbays.
Haven't booked much else the last few weeks apart from several car chargers. Normal vehicles sales have nose dived but electroc vehicles are booming down here.

I assume you’re self employed?

I haven’t worked for 6 weeks apart from the odd outside job, or emergency.
Partly because a lot of my customers are deemed high risk, and my wife works with mums and babies, so she doesn’t want to risk carrying anything into her classes when she returns to work.

it’s only now, trying to get any money from the government that I’m thinking I was wrong to stop everything.

have you applied for universal credit? That should pay part of your rent as well??
Its a lot of work, but they need the systems in place to prevent fraud....

Working nearly back to normal now.
Most of my work at moment is outside fitting EV Chargers or outside lighting. So no problems distancing for majority of the time.
Where I am indoors then I explain to customer the need to keep away and I wear full PPE.
Got some commercial work in next couple of weeks in a largely empty warehouse, it's 2 person print company. Will be replacing lights with Led Highbays.
Haven't booked much else the last few weeks apart from several car chargers. Normal vehicles sales have nose dived but electroc vehicles are booming down here.
That’s good to hear. I’m doing my vehicle charge course in June hopefully. It was meant to be in April but got cancelled. Where are you based? I’m in East Sussex.
How do you get your ev jobs do you specifically advertise or are they your regular clients?
only ask as I’ve never been asked to install one yet or had one enquiry.
[automerge]1589313801[/automerge]
I assume you’re self employed?

I haven’t worked for 6 weeks apart from the odd outside job, or emergency.
Partly because a lot of my customers are deemed high risk, and my wife works with mums and babies, so she doesn’t want to risk carrying anything into her classes when she returns to work.

it’s only now, trying to get any money from the government that I’m thinking I was wrong to stop everything.

have you applied for universal credit? That should pay part of your rent as well??
Its a lot of work, but they need the systems in place to prevent fraud....
Hi
Yes I’m self employed with my own small firm, I’ve applied for universal credit and receive a little bit each month which helps a lot but doesn’t cover all of it. I’m ok with it I think but my wife is off with me about it and thinks I’m a risk but I’ve built the business up and don’t want to loose all my customers or keep turning work away but like I say I also don’t want to harm my own family it’s a real mental struggle at the mo.

I've had to go back to work, I feel I dont really have a choice.
I went from being a sole trader to becoming Ltd on the 1st April which means I lose out on any government help. I have alot of money and materials tied up in ongoing jobs, which have slowed down so I've been a bit anxious, as I expect we all have.

Most of my work has been industrial and empty properties, so not too bad, but social distancing with over trades is really hard to comply with on site, but my wife doesn't work so it is what it is.

On a different note where you doing your EV course I'm based in Sussex too?

I've had to go back to work, I feel I dont really have a choice.
I went from being a sole trader to becoming Ltd on the 1st April which means I lose out on any government help. I have alot of money and materials tied up in ongoing jobs, which have slowed down so I've been a bit anxious, as I expect we all have.

Most of my work has been industrial and empty properties, so not too bad, but social distancing with over trades is really hard to comply with on site, but my wife doesn't work so it is what it is.

On a different note where you doing your EV course I'm based in Sussex too?
Morning,
I’m doing my ev course with Nic in Crawley was the nearest one. Keep safe mate.

Postponed all my jobs when we went into full lockdown,
just now looking at what outdoor jobs I could now get round to doing...
the one big job I had pencilled in for the whole of April was a massive rewire £9000 worth of work , the customer has just cancelled as they have lost their job.
so that really took put April to bed anyways so it’s back to small jobs in June

Was advised due to health issues to isolate for 13 weeks.
Some jobs postponed on me anyway
Last working day was 3rd March
My wife works in a care home, we have both had - and recovered from the virus
I am not eligible for any assistance from HMRC - for whatever reason?
Universal Credit award us £0.00 for April
My wife's firm didn't pay her any SSP - not yet anyway for the three weeks she was off, she back now since last week to her 3 day a week job.
Not eligible for a business interruption loan
Turned down for a Business Bounce back Loan - reason not given
I intend to start getting back to work against advise in the next week - I have to!
Makes me wonder, if anything happened, would my life insurance policy be void - being the snakes that they are.

me like you lot need the monies now bills need paying.my last job was last week couple of sockets in a property told the customer stay in the garden so I can riffle through the draws
found his mrs stockings in the draws shoved that over my head to stop the virus getting to me. the bloke came in and asked me did i need a drink .wow he said do you need a gun has well .any way i need monies now just like bob Geldof feed the world .me .

Was advised due to health issues to isolate for 13 weeks.
Some jobs postponed on me anyway
Last working day was 3rd March
My wife works in a care home, we have both had - and recovered from the virus
I am not eligible for any assistance from HMRC - for whatever reason?
Universal Credit award us £0.00 for April
My wife's firm didn't pay her any SSP - not yet anyway for the three weeks she was off, she back now since last week to her 3 day a week job.
Not eligible for a business interruption loan
Turned down for a Business Bounce back Loan - reason not given
I intend to start getting back to work against advise in the next week - I have to!
Makes me wonder, if anything happened, would my life insurance policy be void - being the snakes that they are.

I’m curious about why you’re not getting UC, if you can’t get the self employed income support from hmrc.
Sounds like you’re in same boat as me.... SE, but wife works part time and has been furloughed.
I wasn’t eligible for hmrc, but I have now got word of UC just today and at least I am getting something, thankfully.
Unless you have too much in savings? That could be it.

I’m curious about why you’re not getting UC, if you can’t get the self employed income support from hmrc.
Sounds like you’re in same boat as me.... SE, but wife works part time and has been furloughed.
I wasn’t eligible for hmrc, but I have now got word of UC just today and at least I am getting something, thankfully.
Unless you have too much in savings? That could be it.
I had two days earnings within the time they stipulated, never mind what my costs and expenses were. what ever my wife earns, they reduce the payment by £0.61p per pound that she earns.
no calculation of what it costs to maintain my business costs whilst off.
I await to see what I get for May :-(
Ive at least got my bank to review my BBL application - but I wont hold my breath.

has long has I get the Moines back for the corporate jet I'm not bothered ,any moines will be sent back to the government so people like yous lot will have to scrap over it like a bone , any way no more free dentist in scotland when this over they will have to pull you teeth out ,what is over some body going to pay .lol

Morning,
I’m doing my ev course with Nic in Crawley was the nearest one. Keep safe mate.
Im going to Crawley too, mines on the 15th of July with Napits "Premier Training" looks like it's at a Premier Inn on the Manor Royal estate.
I'm not really interested in the OLEV grant or doing much EV but thought it might be interesting.

has long has I get the Moines back for the corporate jet I'm not bothered ,any moines will be sent back to the government so people like yous lot will have to scrap over it like a bone , any way no more free dentist in scotland when this over they will have to pull you teeth out ,what is over some body going to pay .lol
Hi
Have you spent your tax rebate on crack? I honestly don’t follow anything you’ve said. Sorry

Reply to Anyone worried about working at the moment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net