Discuss Apex domestic voltage optimiser in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KevinS

Got a call out today
No power at db
I had 240 going into the apex voltage optimiser but nothing coming out. Status LED was flashing green then red
Does anyone know if the unit needs resetting (and if so how) or is the unit given up
Also does anyone have any instructions for these units
Thanks in advance
PS got the power up and running by by-passing the unit
Thanks again

Apex Single Phase VO Status Codes:

Ultra Low Bypass Mode
Green Flashing
The dwelling load is too low to allow any savings to be made. The unit will revert to “Save Mode” when conditions allow.

Operating Normally
Steady Green Light
The unit is working normally and in Save Mode.

Unit Failure
Constant Red Flashing
The unit has shut-down either because the Incoming voltage has exceeded 270V OR the Unit has become too hot OR the unit has exceeded its 100A maximum load. Switching the main Isolator off then on again should re set the unit.

Low input / Bypass mode
Flashing Green followed periodically by one Red flash
Once the voltage increases to specification levels the unit will automatically revert back to “Save mode”.

High Current / Bypass mode
Flashing Green followed periodically by a group of two Red flashes
Temporary over current (60A). Once the current drops below 60A the voltage optimisation device will automatically revert back to “Save Mode”.

Over Temperature / Bypass mode
Flashing Green followed periodically by a group of three Red Flashes
Once the unit temperature drops to specification levels the voltage optimisation device will automatically revert back to “Save Mode”

If the unit fails to return to "Save Mode" after an error condition, switching the main Isolator off (>30s) then on again should restore the manufacturers settings.

Hi
thanks for your help, the unit was flashing red/green constantly
i turned the power off for probably 2 mins but nothing
i would have thought that if the panel was drawing too little or too much current it would just stop optimising but still allow power through.
is this the case?
cheers Kevin

Kevin,

Can i suggest you speak to Apex Direct 0191 3787900, User manuals and technical support is very good and free !

Hi all,

Got a call to an Apex VO yesterday.
The house owner has recently moved in to the property, adn is complaining about his toaster isn't toasting the bread any more.

Wants me to disable the unit, to he gets his full 230 volts.
Says he is not interested in the carbon, as he drives a Land Cruiser.
Says he wants his full-on voltage.

Is there an internal link, or some thing, that I can simply drop off, so this unit just go's into permanent by-pass mode?

thanks

Well he'll be getting much closer to 240V and probably a bit more, than that 230V, that's that make believe voltage that you'll be lucky to see once in a blue moon!! lol!!

Why not take the unit out of service/circuit altogether, if he doesn't want it now he's not going to want it in the future either. Not if he has to wait too long for his toast to brown and his Earl Grey tea water to boil ...What!!! lol!!

Well he'll be getting much closer to 240V and probably a bit more, than that 230V, that's that make believe voltage that you'll be lucky to see once in a blue moon!! lol!!

Why not take the unit out of service/circuit altogether, if he doesn't want it now he's not going to want it in the future either. Not if he has to wait too long for his toast to brown and his Earl Grey tea water to boil ...What!!! lol!!
Thanks for the reply.

Taking it out would be the ultimate, but don't want to go along that route just yet.

Would rather know how to put it into "bypass mode" either by removing an internal link, or some thing similar.
I threw the main breaker on the VO, but that just cut the power to the whole db that it supplies, so that didn't help.

Any one?

vette

Take it out and bin it! Then ask him if he'd like to buy some snake oil or smoke and mirrors, me and Tony can do him a deal.

I have an Apex domestic vo which was in a new house which I purchased in Sept 2020. This unit makes a loud buzzing noise at various times during the day and night. Is this normal. I have 9 solar panels does this effect the Apex vo. I find the buzzing noise quite annoying. Can anyone advise me. Regards. David

it is unlikely that you would see any actual benefits of it anyway. Most modern equipment uses switching that adapts, meaning that on higher voltage it switches less often.
Most motors are controled by controlers and electric heaters heat shorter if they produce more heat. So I can only think of halogen bulbs where it might do some savings... Do you want some snake-oil?

Long story short: There are no ways to save on a consumptions other then Using things better (less often) or using better things. (more efficient).
While there is a minor chance for negligible reduction by reducing voltage, this will most likely be less then devices internal consumption (by producing heat and buzzing noise). (Explanation of why lowering voltage on high currents (>3Amp @ 240V) is inefficient is better for a video or full on article.
If you want to reduce consumption here are some tips:

-Where possible make heat from GAS rather then electricity. (In UK major part of Power is made from gas, most of power is wasted and few more companies earn extra on-top so it is unlikely that Electrical heating from grid would ever compare). Which means HOB and shower cost a fraction of the cost when done with gass.
-Insulate, Insulate,Insulate
-Use switches/smart bulbs rather then dimmers (dimmers waste lot of power often using more then having light full on)
  • Use efficient equipment and Use it on less then its maximum (most things are most efficient between 40-75% of their power, but this obviously ranges).
  • Apply power to only what you use (EG only as much water in a cattle or pod as you need).
There are some e-bay special devices which work on a power factor basis, but their blue LED usualy uses more then they save . And even that saving may actually be more consumption..
this might warrant its own forum...

You are lucky to get 40% efficiency from burning fossil fuel to actual electric output, where as a combi boiler is often above 80% efficient in terms of heat from the fuel input. Hence the traditionally lower cost and less environmental impact of gas heating (or CHP, but no one wants to be near the power station, etc)

But as we (hopefully) get more electric from low-pollution means that balance changes and at some point getting gas to feed the network is going to become far more expensive. At that point the best choice would be heat pumps and top-up electric heaters.

But for now that is not the economics of the world, hence the use of subsidies and political decisions to mandate changes that in the short change cost more to install and/or use.

One of the best solutions is obviously to use less, but the cost and difficulties of retro-fitting insulation (not to mention the debacle over the Grenfell tragedy putting the spotlight on dangerous insulation and the eye-watering costs of rectifying it) mean the majority of the UK's property ain't going to be changed any time soon :(

Reply to Apex domestic voltage optimiser in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock