Discuss Apex wiring,anyone like it? in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leokiss

Just curious if anyone has used this stuff yet,im currently using it and sum of the guys im working with have used it before.
For those who dont Know its flex cables with plugs on end male and female. All sockets,spurs switches everything is pre-made in a factory and delivered to site.
Every cable length pre-made exact,no extentions to cables can be made.
Large 3-phase db's fed with armoured,from them large plug heads carrying up to 10 circuits in like a large steel kopex which in turn feed boxes to which the power or lighting (different boxes) are plugged into.

Management appear to like it,think its cheaper.
My opinion is while it is better in some ways and perhaps safer, testing easier too (no rings all radials) it dosent half dumb down our trade.Job is large and the ratio is 1 spark to 3 or 4 mates or apprentice.
The idea is you dont need hardly any electrical knowledge as you just follow the lines on the drawing and plug it in where shown and thats it for wiring. Containment is basket
So And its been said by management( cos i heard em) you just need monkeys!

THat doesnt say much for the Management either then does it leo ? What would their job description be ===ah ! I know Cheif of the Monkeys !

Im surprised it has'nt happened sooner. Basically its a wiring loom for a building. It will be advantagous for new builds, however traditional wiring will still be needed for additions, repairs and alterations :D I have come across something similar in static caravans with break in multi pin connector blocks at various points.

Well to be fair the ones that have been on tools dont really like it they said if its all going this way its time to get off the tools and be the one paying the monkeys.
It does sound like alot of the new larger jobs are using it.
Its an american import.

Not sure about future maintanence,dont think traditional method can be used.as its plug and play all the way.
They'll have to get apex again.Nice way of cornering the market!
While ever we dont extend cables if they dont reach and stick to the apex system not tradtional methods the warranty is with apex not the main contractor.

Think of the car, some wiring looms can have 40-50 strands, and are dead easy to fit whilst building the motor. Down the line you fry a single cable in the loom, but only damage a couple surounding it. I would only re-wire the damage and not the whole damn loom, so unless it fitted in to easy acess trunking, Im sure there will be plenty of ways to wire it up in the future (once the waranty expires!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Been there for a look, and unless they start incorporating additional cabling for fault detection and monitoring, I cant see a problem breaking into the system............

I did check and you can break in to system for example on stairs,what happens is a plastic JB comes with one pluggable side the inside are connectors for continuing circuit hard wired as such.
So no reason why this couldn't be done in future additions or alterations.
Did you like it where on 1st page of website one of the positive reasons for using them is USE OF LESS SKILLED TRADESMEN ONSITE! Which takes me back to monkeys!:(:eek:

It looks bl**dy awful.

OK your new build is wired in a fraction of the time. I’ve only ever done heavy industrial work where things are usually planned quite well. But you could guarantee that with in 5 minutes of starting someone will change the spec. How do you accommodate that?

As to the skill involved with installation I think they’ve chosen the right name APEx

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Apex wiring,anyone like it? in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net