Discuss Apollo Smokes - Wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

Afternoon all, I've attached an old smoke from the 70s (I believe), struggling to find a wiring diagram. Basically, the current wiring is all red in colour so it's hard to discern what's what. Need to replace with something a bit more modern (Series 65 Apollo) but can't find a wiring diagram for this hunk of junk to transfer the cables over.

View attachment 35214

Have you got a picture of the old base with the cables connected or will that not help. I guess you all ready Know the cable from the panel goes to the L IN and then L out to the next device the other 2 cables go together in L2.

I haven't seen it to be honest, my uncle has asked me to do some digging. Yeah, I figured it was a closed loop sort of system. He's since said that he thinks (from memory) there was two cables to terminal 6, one to 5 and one to 11 (could be wrong, he has poor memory).

So as I see it, the two together are the L2 cables, then it should just be a case of using a voltage indicator to find out which is the + and which is the -

Sound about right?

I haven't seen it to be honest, my uncle has asked me to do some digging. Yeah, I figured it was a closed loop sort of system. He's since said that he thinks (from memory) there was two cables to terminal 6, one to 5 and one to 11 (could be wrong, he has poor memory).

So as I see it, the two together are the L2 cables, then it should just be a case of using a voltage indicator to find out which is the + and which is the -

Sound about right?
Yes thats sound about right not sure if you will see a voltage on it though may be worth having a guess with the in and out if the panel shows up a fault then swap the to cables over your not going to damage it .

Because I have tried to test one before to find in and out and had no Joy , Not sure if its because I had no 0 volt reference , As i did think they run a 24 volts DC but could be wrong , Thats why in the past I have belled the cables out , or used the end of line device to find out what cables are the in and the out

Afternoon all, I've attached an old smoke from the 70s (I believe), struggling to find a wiring diagram. Basically, the current wiring is all red in colour so it's hard to discern what's what. Need to replace with something a bit more modern (Series 65 Apollo) but can't find a wiring diagram for this hunk of junk to transfer the cables over.

From the part number I think its a series 30 detector and if so you could use one of these

S30 to S60 Base Adaptor | Product | EU Fire and Security - http://www.eufireandsecurity.com/product/apollo-s30-to-s60-base-adaptor-45681-237-sd-1021/

Apollo 45681-237 Series 30 to Series 60 Adaptor Base 45681-237 : Apollo Series 65 Detector Range - Conventional - http://www.thesafetycentre.co.uk/store/brands/apollo_fire_alarm_system_equipment/apollo_conventional_fire_alarm_equipment/apollo_conventional_detector_range/apollo_series_65_detector_range_conventional/apollo_45681_237_series_30_to_series_60_adaptor_base?utm_source=discountfiresystems.co.uk&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=hrwltd

Yes series S30...you can replace easily with s65 or 65a series.
you should have 2 fps or 2 piros coming in...both blacks go to L2, then test which red is the incoming by measuring dc voltage from L2 to each red, when 28v is found connect that red to L1 in and the other to L1 out. It is that simple, hope this helps

Just a side note Hightower, smoke detectors should be changed every ten years (domestic and commercial)!

I know, but that's not our call. Uncle just taken on as spark of this building. It's a HMO for people with literally nothing. Not a penny has been spent on the building that wasn't forced on the owner, hence why we're dealing with 50 year old smokes. It's really quite sad for those living there while the owner lives in a mansion with flash cars....

Yes series S30...you can replace easily with s65 or 65a series.
you should have 2 fps or 2 piros coming in...both blacks go to L2, then test which red is the incoming by measuring dc voltage from L2 to each red, when 28v is found connect that red to L1 in and the other to L1 out. It is that simple, hope this helps

Yep, I think it's wired in twin lol, and as I've said all cores are red. I've a good idea of how the system works now so thanks! Sure I'll figure it out when I go.

Reply to Apollo Smokes - Wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net