Discuss Appendix 17 (BS7671 18th ed) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've heard about the new "energy efficiency" appendix in the 18th edition, and I'm aware it's optional at this stage - but there seems to be precious little information online about the specifics. I'd imagine this just imposes tighter restrictions on voltage drops, power factor, etc., but is there anything else there that might come as more of a surprise if it was made compulsory in a future amendment (which it looks likely it will)?

Just curious!

I think there will be no major surprises, most of the requirements are generally already in place in larger installations, load power factor and power usage monitoring; the building regulations already require a lot more energy efficiency requirements for new builds.
The main problem with modifying existing installations is monitoring specific energy usage where circuits are not divided into suitable areas to allow easy or appropriate energy usage monitoring.
Using lighting control and operating HVAC systems within appropriate times and controls and using VSDs on motors are all current practice for BMS.
Volt drop reduction I think will be surprising in the size of cables required and the cost of installation will have to be carefully balanced against the cost savings, but usually a cable should last a long time so the increased installation cost may be offset by the savings over time, but this is often not a consideration for most businesses operating in the short term.

Reply to Appendix 17 (BS7671 18th ed) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock