Discuss apprehension changing jobs in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Dave0098

hello everyone,

im new here and i thought that maybe a few people might have been in the same boat as me from this forum.

im currently an electrician (26 yrs old) for a company called johnson matthey, we do all sorts of electrical work from the basic PAT Testing, changing lamps, RCD testing to hazardous area inspections, running new supplys, motor changing etc... its kind of industrial and domestic electrics.

i put my apllication in for a job on a site called GrowHow which is an industrial site manufacturing ammonia and nitric acid, i didnt even think i'd get the job i just thought for some experience of possibly having an interview i'll give it ago, but in the end ive been offered the job. i was really excited about it, until today i had a tour of the plants that i will be working on and ive got alittle apprehension now about what to do, some of the work ive done before and some of it was new to me, at the moment i work within a team but this new job is bascially me looking after 3 acid plants on my own.

the new job is more money, better benefits, security, everything about it is better. but i dont know why i feel like this, i dont want to take the job and after a couple of months think its a mistake, the job i have now does have faults but its pretty secure and i'll admit it im in my comfort zone but i do want to learn new things.

what im feeling is this normal?

Dave

Totally natural.Anything thats going to stretch you will be slightly daunting at first.we all feel it just that some do not admit to it .Go for it lad onwards and upwards

You may regret it if you turn it down. New experiences are what keep our grey cells ticking. Its good to be a little wary of the unknown but basically you have one life go for it!!!!

thanx everyone for your replys, just so you all know i accepted the job and im looking forward to my start date which is in May. im glad its a normal feeling and its good to hear other people who have had similar experiences.

thanks again!!!

cheers Dave:cool:

Agree with all the above, and as long as you leave your existing job on good terms, and have been a good servant for em mate, they will 9 times out of 10 leave an opening for you to return if you don,t like your new job.
As the lads say, to infinity and beyond, go on mate , learn some more skills, as you have to get em, nobodies goin to give em to ya,

Agree with all the above, and as long as you leave your existing job on good terms, and have been a good servant for em mate, they will 9 times out of 10 leave an opening for you to return if you don,t like your new job.
As the lads say, to infinity and beyond, go on mate , learn some more skills, as you have to get em, nobodies goin to give em to ya,

Totally agree, new challenge, new learning curve, Good Luck

thanx everyone for your replys, just so you all know i accepted the job and im looking forward to my start date which is in May. im glad its a normal feeling and its good to hear other people who have had similar experiences.

Dave Have you started yet; how was your 1st day?

It is recognised that employees go through various stages of states of mind.
What you will find Initially is that you will have High enthusiasm, but low knowledge, reasonable confidence.
The next stage will be lowering enthusiasm, increasing knowledge, but very low confidence. (You may even question if you have done the right thing)
After that you will have varying levels of enthusiam, but a greater level of knowledge, & high confidence.
One stage on is low enthusiasm but over confidence but this can be combated by asking for new challenges (although a decent manager should monitor these stages & help you where they can)

I hope you are enjoying you're new position.

Regards, Gaz.

Thats totally natural and knowing you are outside your comfort zone is brilliant give it time you will learn. Its certainly better than thinking you know it all and not having the time to collect your first paycheck because you fried yourself.

Good luck

Chris

hello every1, i just want to say thank you to you all for your replys and good advice, i did take the job!!! and its a good move for me, ive been there 2 weeks now and its going great!!! like most of you have said its good to put yourself under the cosh abit so that we have to push ourselves to learn move. im really happy with my choice now & i dnt even know why i was worried now, but i suppose its just natural to feel the way i did.

thanx every1

Dave

Hi mate was not in on your move but pleased its worked out for you. Enjoy the challenge learn something new every day it will make you feel good about yourself. Good luck :) :)

Reply to apprehension changing jobs in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock